PDA

View Full Version : Dog not eating!!!

NWMOhunter
04-07-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm beginning to worry about my dog. She is about a 3 year old GSP that is still intact. She went through a cycle about the beginning of February and was not exposed to any males. She is kept in an outdoor kennel which is located next to an OLD shed for a wind block. I feed her once a day (usually around 8 pm) and she will typically inhale her food once given it.

Within the past couple of days (about 3) she shows VERY little interest in her food. She has eaten some table scraps I had taken to her, but other than that has eaten very little. She typically eats everything within a matter of a minute and when I fed her tonight there was at least half the food left over from last night.

I did give her a vaccination in January I think it was (Soloject 7), but not wormed. I haven't been able to check a stool for worms yet. She isn't really around other dogs much, but occasionally the "farm dogs" will check out her kennel. I had found some glass in her kennel which would have came from a window in the shed, but she cannot get to the window. I guess it might be possible she ingested some of the glass.

Can someone give me some info on what might be wrong or something I should start looking for? I'm about certain if I took her to the vet they would have to run all kinds of tests to find out what was wrong. Maybe if I narrowed it down it might be easier for the vet.

goose me TX
04-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Dogs not eating can be a sign of a million things. Without actually examing the dog its going to be very hard to give you any ideas. There are many questions here that you have not answered. Is her stool formed? Has she been doing any vomiting? Have you taken her temp? Is she having any vaginal discharge now? How long did her heat cycle last? Does she seem painful anywhere especially in the abdomen?

The fact that she just went through a heat cycle worries me because a lot of times, intact females with get a uterine infection right after going through a heat cycle. This can be life threatening if left untreated, but it is also something that can be treated.

But like I said, the symptom of not eating is a very vague and common symtom, best diagnosed by a Vet. Good luck and keep us posted!

Trapper77
04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
My buddies lab stopped eating one day and they to had no idea why. They took him to the vet thinking he had eaten a tennis ball and blocked him up because he was not having bowel movements either. Turns out his intestine was overlapping itself and pinching it off so nothing could get through. They only found it with exploratory surgery and removed 6 inches of intestine. He is fine now. It could be lots of things get it checked out, if my buddy would have waited a day or two more his dog would probably have died. Just my 02.

Trapper

Specklr
04-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Has she stoped eating every thing and does she still drink water and has she gone to the bathroom at all? Also have you tryed to feed her some cat food if you have and she has no intrest then you do have a problem as a dog will go out of it's way for that stuff.

NWMOhunter
04-12-2003, 02:27 PM
I checked her over and didn't find anything wrong. I then offered her canned food which she gulfed down. She's eating fine now. I think it was just a matter of being bored with the food. It will kind of scare you when your dog goes 3 days without eating.

BTW....dogs might go for cat food, but they'll go faster for those cat nuggets left in the litter box!!!

Specklr
04-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Glade she is eating again and yes it is true they will go after the leave behindes but it has been my experience that most won't go and get some for there dog bahbah You say you keep her out side it might just have been the weather changing or just upset stomach who knows but at least she is eating again.