PDA

View Full Version : Paint Sealer

Sangamon River Rat
04-10-2003, 11:09 AM
I was wondering what kind of sealer do you guys recommend for sealing the paint jobs on your decoys? I use Decoy Rigs' paints and artist acrylics. I handpaint everything, no airbrush!!!!! I am looking for a flat sealer, the "satin" sealer is too glossy in my opinion.
Looking forward to your responses.

:CU:

chcltlabz
04-10-2003, 11:22 AM
A lot of guys use Testor's dullcoat, but its not cheap. I use matte acrylic clearcoat on mine. It adds a very dull sheen to the decoy, and makes the paint very hard. The sheen they have is very natural, like the real thing. I get it for about $1.25 at the local hardware store. I had to look around, but eventually found a store that carried it. I use it on my corks, foam burlap dekes, and repainted plastics. It works great on the plastics especially.

Flipper
04-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Find an auto paint store that sells SEM colorcoat flexible coating (13023) Low luster clear coating. I paid about 7.49 wholesale for a 13 oz. spray can. It is for flat flexible auto bumpers. :Rich:

Sinkbox
04-16-2003, 03:28 PM
I just used some SEM's 13023 clear coat on "Avery Mallards" and the first one I did the green ran right down the neck & on to the breast of the decoy....this stuff is too "hot" for the Avery decoy paint. I then tried the Testors dull coat and had no problem. We all know Avery ( Zinks 2002 model decoys) aren't know for the quality of their paint but that's the reason I was looking into a sealer....I'm going to try the Sem's on some other stuff and will post up later.

Sinkbox <><

Flipper
04-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Sinkbox, try and use a light flashcoat and let it set up then another coat that is not real heavy.:Rich:

Sinkbox
04-17-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks, I got a bunch of um to do - Mack's is selling them for $19 a dz and I loaded up....I'll try it today Flip & let you know how that works! Oh, I did an Avery hen to see what would happen after I posted and I didn't notice any paint breaking down and running on "her."

Sinkbox <><