PDA

View Full Version : Silli Decoy Question

Sandy
04-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I hunt mainly resident honkers w/an influx of maybe 1000 - 3000 migratory birds in late winter here in my area. Right now I hunt over 2 dozen fullbody Hidgons and a dozen CL shells. I am in the process of making cloraplast sillis to have for the upcoming season and my question is how many is too many? I am using patterns from Outlaws, Real geese and have 7 or so different body patterns. I've done 18 and am considering 36 more. Is this to many sillis in my spread???

cself02
04-16-2003, 12:23 PM
I don't think so, I mix 48 outlaw sillies with two doz supermags and a doz. and a half fullbodies and we killed plenty that way. The more the better IMO.

Littman
04-16-2003, 02:17 PM
I hunt commonly over 100-125 silos...... In an area with high hunting pressure, the geese with usually go for the larger spread. Also a larger spread will be easier to see from a distance......PC

Eric VA
04-16-2003, 04:34 PM
If you've never hunted over sils you need to keep in mind that you need (at least) 3x as many sils as the # of geese you are trying to depict in your spread. If you want your sils spread to look like 12 geese you need 36 sils. Your 18 sils are going to look like ~6 geese.

I hunt about the same size population. Some days we'll only setup a dozen bigfoots, other days we'll setup all 12doz Outlaws w/ 3doz bigfoots and a dozen higdon stackables. It all depends on what the geese are doing.