PDA

View Full Version : Striper Skewer with DB!

Gundog
04-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Hey DB - Have the fish started moving through your area yet. We have a ton of herring moving in the runs on Cape Cod and it shouldn't be long! My boat goes in next week but I probably won't get out until after TURKEY Time. When does your commercial season start up? We start here until July and I'm hoping for a good season to help with my 1st installment on my sons college tuition (ouch!!). If the fishing isn't good I may have to sell a few calls or make the wife get a second job. :DB:

DUCKSBANE
04-21-2003, 09:08 PM
GD- Not yet, there are the typical small fish at the hot water plants. Looks like stripers open june 1st and taug open like mid June early july. Your getting an early start on the launch:TT: My boats in Westport MA right know getting a few things done on it by the builder(underdeck fish boxes). Looks like I will be going in about 4-6 weeks. I thought MA started bass season June 1st? I was thinking of getting a MA lic this year. 40 taug and 20 stripers a day is SWEET.Youll have to show some of your big bass haunts up that way:JW: :hest:
ps keep the calls and sell the wife:Rich:

Gundog
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
DB - couldn't get enough for the wife!!:LOL:

DUCKSBANE
04-22-2003, 07:29 AM
GD- Ive been looking into the foreign market, looks pretty good. Anyone else intrested let me know and we can split 1 cargo ship.:BM: :Rich:

Gundog
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
DB - MA Striper meeting re: quotas, etc. was on the 17th. I heard that the limit this year will be 20 fish a day ; last year it was 40! We never came close to 40 fishing out of Boston Harbor so I don't mind the lower limit. It should stretch out the season a little for us guys who have to work at least a little during the week. Most of the guys I know who took limits were hitting the fish hard for short periods down the Cape ( Scortins, Monomoy, Elizabeths) I also hear a lot of RUMORS about guys fishing the offfshore federal waters that are off limits for stripers at night. That takes more balls than brains in my book. One of the other proposed changes is to open these areas (Stell. Bank, etc.) for both rec. and commercial fishing. We usually start hittiing good fish here around the 3rd week of May. Until then our trips will be to load up with Cod for the freezer and Macks for striper bait for the season. At any rate fishing season is about 2 turkeys away for me!!

DUCKSBANE
04-24-2003, 04:21 AM
GD- you can fish the islands commercially right? Vinyard Nant.? I have in the past and it is filthy with fish. Also the westport area is loaded with big fish. 20 fish is fine, hell we can only take 3 a day! Cod trip for the freezer is a great plan. I hear the stock is way up. Plan on running to coxes ledge soon to try my hand on some cod.

Gundog
04-24-2003, 04:39 AM
DB - The Islands are ok for commercial. I use to fish out of Woods Hole every weekend when I was young with my dad but usually stick around Boston Harbor now; too lazy to trailer down the Cape. The off limits areas are called the EZE and it comes in pretty close to the cape. Areas like Stellwagin Bank, and the offshore ledges have been out for both commercial and recreational. Thats about a 14 mi. run for us; not too bad on a calm day. My brother runs a 23' Seacraft Classic SC and I have a 20' Seacraft Seafari Cuddy both good rough water boats so if they open it up we'll be out there with the tuna guys and whale watchers. Acres of BIG fish on top slamming herring would be a sight to see.:Art: P.S. Peach wine?? I was wondering about you guys until I saw you mention DARK BEER!!!:cool:

DUCKSBANE
04-24-2003, 06:39 AM
SEACRAFT:Art: :Art: Holychit man!!! that is the greatest hull ever built 23ft and under. I grew up running a 1972 23ft Seacraft center. Took that boat thru some shit I had NO right being in! She always stayed on top and got me home.

Gundog
04-24-2003, 01:20 PM
DB - One of my other on-line haunts is ClassicSeacraft.com. Lots of nice old rebuilt boats. My Seafari is a 70's Potter hull version that I inherited from my dad. It eats rough waters like noting else! Not a pleasure cruiser but still in good shape for "wackin and stackin" the bass!!!

DUCKSBANE
04-24-2003, 02:01 PM
MMMMMMMMM.... whackin and stackin bass. :TT: