PDA

View Full Version : Training video advice

NWMOhunter
05-03-2003, 06:11 PM
I had a guy give me a chocolate lab and I'm wanting to get her trained as a retriever. Here is where she's at...she is 2 1/2 years old and has not formally been worked with. She will sit, but has never been taught to stay when told to sit. She will retrieve a dummy or something when thrown, but she won't always bring it back to hand. A lot of times she will drop the bumper right before she gets to me.

I have started working with her on force fetch. I'll put the dummy in her mouth and she always tries to spit it out but I hold it in and praise her.

I'm wanting to get as far with her as whistle training, hand commands, retrieving to hand and multiple marks. I've trained pointers before but this will be my first attempt at a retriever (my GSP is a natural retriever!).

Can someone suggest a video or two that would help my situation?

Ruff
05-04-2003, 12:03 PM
The three tape set by Lardy is bout as good as it get's but they will set you back some $$. There is a book the 10 minute Retriever is a good referance for training and getting you going in the right direction. Take this for what it's worth I would rather get the book and spend the other money on joining a Retriever club in your area. You would be amazed at how fast your dog will progress when training with a club and what you'll learn to.