PDA

View Full Version : pup having retriever problems

huntingmarsh
05-04-2003, 08:07 PM
My new 3 month old pup, who is very smart and is sitting, staying and heeling at a whistle now a days, will not retrieve to me in a open feild. I've tried using a leash and throwing the dummy and trying to bring it back and she will just drop it. Im getting one of thoughs teal dummies for her and I don't want it to waste. I've been trying to fetch with her in the hallway but she'll try to get away from me unless I pull out a treat. So if you guys could help me it would really help. Thanks alot.

Corey

widgnwhacker
05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Try and make it fun for her!! She is still young. Try to work her in your yard. Encourage here with praise when she brings a bumber back to you! As she gets a few months older you may want to look into having her FF ( Force Fetched ). If you get a trainer to do it the dropping of the bumpers will be a thing of the past. And if you want a good bird dog in the field it is a must. Hope that helps??

WW

Goose Bandit
05-04-2003, 10:30 PM
you can't expect alot out of a three month old pup yet. You don't want to push them very hard, their attention span is very short at that age. the best thing to do is to find something the pup likes, whether it is a rolled up sock or its favorite toy just something that it likes for right now. get it interested in it by playing for a few minutes then throw it, but not very far at first, it should go and get it and then call it back, and if it brings it back reward it good, but take it easy and don't over do it at that age. but try and start there and work up to farther throwing distances and different dummys, the teal dummy is a great starter dummy. probaly start throwing a couple times a day. My yellow lab was the same way at that age, and that is what I tried and it worked. Hope this works for you!!!

Goose Bandit

huntingmarsh
05-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the help, I think i've been training alittle too much these days so i'm gonna bring it down a notch. I've been having a problem with her coming, I say marsh come and she will look at me and then sit. When I'm working on her heeling and saying WOO when she gets too far infront of me she will sit and then wait till I catch up and then I say HEA UP and she will keep on heeling. Shes doing good i'm just alittle parannoyed I guess, first pup so I want her to be the best. But thanks for the help again and i'd still like to hear some more.

Corey

Goose Bandit
05-05-2003, 07:50 PM
another idea when training is to use little pieces of hotdogs for treats their cheap and dogs love them. just rember to take it slow for awhile and praise when she does something you want her to. get her use to a treat in your hand and every time you lower your hand she will think you have a treat in there. try this!!! good luck

Cut-um
05-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Corey, Looks like you're getting some good advice about your pup. Just remember that it is a pup and you're way ahead in training. Don't push too hard and let your dog be a puppy when it wants to. Six months is generally the time to start formal training so keep it fun till then. Retrieveing is fun so give your pup plenty of "Hey, Hey's" and enjoy the bonding process.:CU:

DUCKSBANE
05-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Ive had the same problem in the past. Try running away from her after she picks up the dummy. They will usually follow if you make it a fun game. when she starts to chase turn around and take the dummy as you give her plenty of praise.. Remmember at this age it should be all fun and games. Personally I wouldnt use treats at all. Praise should be enough.
Dave

cself02
05-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Chase use to have the same problem, with coming and fetching, Start out not making her stay when you fetch just shake the dummy around till she get excited and then throw it, It worked for me. With the coming thing, If you make a little whistle sound fast or a smootch smootch smootch sound then they usually come to you then you just throw in the name and come along with it. Never had any more problems after that. Call me if you need anything.

See ya little bro.:BM: :BM: :BM:

Sandy
05-07-2003, 12:37 PM
you've gotten LOTS of good advice from everybody. One other thing you could do is look in your local area for a retriever training group. There should be one close to you - AKC, HRC or even a NAHRA. These guys and gals have all probably gone through what you're going through at least once. They can help you now and in the future. Plus its great to get together w/a group of retriever lovers several times a month. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn in a quick time. And your pup will love it too! Good luck!

Jubilee
05-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Sounds like you have gotten the advice that you where looking for. Just don't push her too much, remember she is just a pup still. When I got Jubilee I was told not to even think about trying to do much in the way of training until she was at least 6 months old. I couldn't do that, just make sure you keep it fun, and be sure not to get into a rut as doing the same game everytime, mix it up a little bit

GOOD LUCK

JUB

Labber
05-21-2003, 05:54 AM
you've gotten LOTS of good advice from everybody. One other thing you could do is look in your local area for a retriever training group. There should be one close to you - AKC, HRC or even a NAHRA. These guys and gals have all probably gone through what you're going through at least once. They can help you now and in the future. Plus its great to get together w/a group of retriever lovers several times a month. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn in a quick time. And your pup will love it too! Good luck!

This is the best peice of advice you will get!