PDA

View Full Version : Life span of a Silo

JEDJR
05-08-2003, 11:15 AM
What is the life span of a goose silo? I know it depends on how well you take care of em, but as far as the material they are made of? the color fading? scratching?

duckpoor
05-08-2003, 12:11 PM
JR . I have some Real Geese that are six seasons old . Picked up and put out a bunch of times ....
They are getting pretty light but the material is good as new, stakes ok , the Printing/ink is all that is going away.
I still use them: but next to new ones they do look worn out.
We pack them in FA silo bags which promote sliding them in and out, and to be fair they take a beating.
Outlaws are a little newer and are on about the same pace as to wear.

R Green

Sandy
05-08-2003, 01:50 PM
In 1979 - 1982 I made 100 out of waxed cardboard and corr. plastic. Last year I finally retired all of them! The cardboard ones lasted me about 10 years but didn't get the use the plastic did. And they were also used each spring, summer, fall training retrievers. We sometimes left them for 4 - 5 weeks at a time in the training fields. They had to be repainted every other year or so, but put away dry and carefully, they lasted way longer than expected! This year, its all brand new ones!

cself02
05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
I have 4 doz outlaws I bought the first doz in 97 and they still work great, and they have been used hard, The first doz I bought aren't the best of color but I still think they work jut as good.

wtrfowlwoody
05-18-2003, 09:59 PM
I have 6 dozen Real Geese silos that I bouhgt 14 years ago and I still use them on a regular basis. They have a few scratches but overall are in pretty good shape. I have had to replace the stakes twice. These decoys have seen a lot of use as they were used for my guiding business for 12 years.

Take'em, Take'em NOW!!!

GOOSEHUNTING101
05-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Try this out, I have made some of them, they do not look like the pro jobs but they do work.

Coraplast comes in four by eight sheets, It looks like plastic card board. It can be bought from your local sign shops for around $15 dollar's for five mil thickness.

Once you get your coraplast sheet, you outline the pictures of a goose or duck on it. If you place them just right you can get sixteen standard goose and eighteen duck silhouettes out of it. If you make magnum goose you can get thirteen and 15 duck, and so on. The bigger you make the silhouettes the less you get.

Coraplast can also be found at your local convenient store as coke/pepsi signs exe,exe. You will have to go to your local hardware store for a tube of liquid nails or other type of glue in a caulk gun. Then buy some rods or rod that are less than pencil size, any kind of metal.

After cutting out your silhouettes, glue the rod in the bottom side of the silhouette. Then you will have to paint them, paint them the way you want them to match the duck or goose you are hunting. Paint them using flat paint only (your choice of brand paint) to take the glare off.

They can also be made in to motion decoy's, take a piece of 1' by 1' ply board or what ever your preferences are, glue the string to the base of the neck, then run it to a eye hook in the ply board. Then put a weight on the tail of the silo using a fishing weight 1/2 ounce or less depends on how big they are.

Take two pieces of thin ply board or scrap coraplast, glue it to the ply board on each side of the silhouette. Put a small rod thru the decoy and the small pieces of scrap for a pivot point, this will allow movement of the decoy.

To make them float you will need a piece of foam insulation for the float about 1/2 inch thick or bigger. Cut it in to a round 1'x 1' and glue the silo to the middle of it, paint the foam flat black or dark flat green,then you can add your decoy line and weight to the foam with a small hole, on either end or in the middle.

If you would like to to stick them in the mud just make the rod longer ( as needed )so you can push it down in the mud.

Try to get 5 mil or thicker as the smaller stuff will fold in the wind. They work great as more decoys to your spread, and they are also very light and can be stacked on top of each other.

By the time you are done with the silo's you will have about $14 dollar's in a dozen. Good luck.