PDA

View Full Version : MAKING dog Come!!!

waterfowler
05-10-2003, 08:18 AM
I have a 80# male Black Lab that is almost 3 YO. He is a great hunter and retriever. My problem comes when he the kids open the door and he bolts. He is gone and won't come back, I literally have to get in the truck and chase him down.

I need help fixing this problem or he is going to have to go. The wife says she will not go get him if he does it when I am not home. I can't blame her since he just won't listen to her to get her to come.

I am moving to Washington State and I cannot afford to have him run. I am in the Navy and will be gone quite a bit. I don't want to come home to him being gone.

He has a TON of drive to retrieve and hunt, with an awesome nose. I think he has the potential to be a ****** Hunter. I just don't have the training exp. to take him there. I think the problem is obedience.

Can anyone reccomend a training session or trainer that can help fix this? I will be in the Pacific Northwest and am willing to put money into training if it will help overcome the problems....via force fetch, obedience ect....

Help is greatly appreciated.
Chad

Goose Bandit
05-10-2003, 10:21 AM
DO YOU USE A SHOCK COLLAR FOR HUNTING???? IF SO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PUT IT ON THE DOG TO GO OUTSIDE. I HAD THAT PROBLEM ANCE, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN AGAIN. THATS A THOUGHT.:HUH:

waterfowler
05-10-2003, 01:17 PM
I am picking one up to do training. I just hope he lasts that long.

cself02
05-10-2003, 02:17 PM
I can voutch for the shock collars they work wanders, we had a english setter that was a awesome hunting dog but when you were ready to quite hunting it just kept on going, one shock and it would come just to hearing its name. Then every year we would just put it on her like the first couple times we hunted her and with it just being on her she always minded.

Deffinatly worth the Money.

Good luck, You might try a 30 or 40 foot rope also that helps too. Little cheeper.

waterfowler
05-10-2003, 04:16 PM
The only problem with the rope is that he runs at the most inopportune times. He hits the door running from laying in the living room. I am definately buying a collar, Dogtra 2000nc.

AL-IA
05-11-2003, 05:26 AM
I bought one of those electric fence containment systems and it works very well. I gives your dog freedom to roam around in a area that you decide you want your dog in. I bought the one that you don't have to bury the cable. It will stop the running away problem. My pup learned real fast were she could go and couldn't go. Price was around $200.00 Hope this helps..AL-IA

ICDUK
05-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Put your money towards a good collar and once your dog is cc he will come everytime. Go back over formal obedience and get him on a whistle. Good luck

shootem
05-15-2003, 05:36 AM
The worst thing you can do is put a collar on a dog and start shocking him. DON"T do that!!! The e-collar is a great training aid but is most often misused by inexperienced people. First you start by let the dog wear a dummy collar or the collar with a collar that is not activated for 2 to 4 weeks before you actually start the process called collar conditioning. First and foremost you want the dog to think the corrections are coming from you not the collar. The collar conditioning program teaches the dog how to turn off the collar's corrections by positive reactions to know commands. Buy a collar put it on the dog and don't use it. Go to a pro than handles working retrievers and learn the right way to use the e-collars first. DONT" strap it on and start burning the dog!!! This is like some one who is just starting to learn how to shot a shot gun. Should he go a professional shooting instructor or the neighbor next door who taught himself how to shoot.

center12
05-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Right on Shootem, a shock collar never thaught a dog anything but will reinforce what it already has learned.

Personally I'd address the bolting problem before he ever got to the door. Make him sit before he EVER get's to go outside and then only when you release him. Tempt him, tease him, test him but if he moves from sit his butt get's straightened out pronto. Good luck and hope you get things under control.

GOOSEINATOR
05-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Gotta go with the last two posts.
Dont get me wrong my gooseman alway has a collar on in the feild.
Your problem stems from basic obeidiance Sit means sit till I say get up.
Same way with heal.He has to be steady at Hear,Heal and Sit If you want to stay out of hot water.
Some people might think its cruel the way I train basic for a month but its only one month out of the rest of there life,And I can enjoy them after that.
A choke collar and lead is the place to start or go back to if he has already ben there.
And remember dont be embarassed to crack his butt in front of company at the front door if you have to or it will lead to bad habits elsewhere.

SHOOT STRAIGHT

Specklr
05-28-2003, 05:02 PM
shootem is right about shocking him and I think center is right about teaching him bad lessons . Buy a electric pet fence they are cheap and wount ruin your dog and then when you don't have to worry about him getting lose you can take him back to school !

ICDUK
05-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Anyone with brains would NOT put a collar on a dog and shock em. Obedience needs to be taught and reviewed. Shootem had a good explantation for the collar as it is another tool that when used correctly is very helpful.

center12
05-29-2003, 08:43 PM
No brains huh, you mean like those guy's that continually scream "here" to thier once a year renegade hunting dog only to beat the shit out of it once it does come in!!!

ICDUK
05-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Center12, you are absolutely right. Those guys have s*%+ for brains and should have a collar on their neck:LOL:

Quack Smacker
05-30-2003, 12:24 PM
if you can't train a dog w/o the use of a shock collar...you don't need to be training a dog in the first place. A shock collar is a training AID...no different than a retrieving dummy... it is a step used in further progression(if needed) in the successful training of a dog.. The best thing one could do is start over from the basics and teach the dog to respect the commands given by the ******. ( read a book or talk to a buddy that has knowledge of dog training)

I agree with above posts in that some people should have that collar around their neck! :ST:

Q.S.

waterfowler
06-12-2003, 05:19 AM
I agree totally with most of what all of you have said. The fact is I have trained him in basic obedience and have most of the commands down. Where the problem lies, should I say did lay, was when my wife or one of the kids opened the front door and he would bolt.

I actually am very forunate as to have a brother that is very active in training his dogs and has the resources to fix all the problems I was having and in the process of moving to Washington a few weeks ago,,,,I left him at his house for further training and he did great the first day, with the use of the e-collar in a properly trained hand. He is now in advanced obedience and is being brought up from the start in different hands.

I will be going back to Oregon in September to hunt early goose with my brother and him to start the transition back to me being the dominant ******. Then again for a couple weeks in the end of September to finalize the transition. This is going to be a great experience for both of us and should bring the best out in both of us.

Thanks again for all the help everyone has given!!!!!

Quack Smacker
06-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Enjoy!