PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Hide-A-Pooch

goosekiller
05-10-2003, 08:12 PM
I got a Hide-A Pooch the blind i had before had a door my lab could see out of.So he got use to a door in front of him.The frist time i used the hide a pooch with him the geese started to get close and talking loud he came out to watch. Good by geese.So know i am training him to stay in the blind.I throw a couple dummy out shoot a blank gun and call so it sounds like geese coming.But i also want to teach him to stay in when waiting on geese so he's not out when the geese come.So do i frist train him to stay in while we are calling and shooting not to go to i tell him to.Then train him to stay while things are quiet.Which is the best way to train him to do both.

Eric Stanke
05-11-2003, 06:19 PM
first things first...im no pro but here is whats worked for me..
your dog needs to know when you say "kennel" you mean get in and stay in till i after i shoot or release you..try just putting the blind in your yard and sit outside with the dog in it for a while..dont let dog out till you call him or tell him..then bring in the calls and guns...make sure your dog is steady to shot..take him with you shooting sporting clays or practice trap..build up patience in dog...it may mean just training dog on hunts and not being concerend with shooting birds just training dog..you could also stake dog on short lead so he or she isnt allowed to get out of the blind cuz of short lead....many options out there..hope this helps a little..

Sandy
05-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Well, IMHO, STAY means STAY wherever you place your dog! In a crate, under a piece of burlap, in a hide-a-pooch, etc... DON'T let him get away w/moving in a hide-a-pooch at all. Train over the summer w/all types of temptations and let him know STAY means don't move UNTIL you're released! Get a handle on this movement/breaking now while you have the time to train on it. Go out and set up a "hunt" - dekes and all! Get a cassette tape of honkers and use it to simulate a flock coming in. If he moves, correct him immediately! Thats how we do it! A little correction now means he sits tight come Sept. Good luck!

goosekiller
05-12-2003, 07:10 PM
I have a big yard so i can do as you guys said.He is use to the gun just have to train him to the blind.Thanks allot Dan