PDA

View Full Version : Higdon vs BigFoot

kirsch
05-15-2003, 02:58 PM
To make a long story short, I had a guy who says he can get me BigFoots for the same cost as Higdons. Unfortunately, he hasn't delivered. His contact at BigFoot has been jacking him around for almost 1 year. I put in the order with him last year in June and still haven't seen my decoys. Luckily, I didn't have to put money down.

Now, I am tired of waiting. I am also in the sporting goods business, so I can sign up as a dealer with Higdon and get better pricing but due to the type of store I can't be a Big Foot dealer. So the moral of the story is my price for the Higdons are equal or a little cheaper than the special deal on the BigFoots (that I haven't seen)

So, what should I get? Price aside if you had Big Foots and Higdons sitting side by side which would you choose to hunt with?

NDgoosekiller
05-15-2003, 05:24 PM
I'd go with the Foots. I have both and the bigfoot is a better decoy.

DUCKDIGGLER
05-15-2003, 05:52 PM
BIGFOOTS are the clear winner! No other choice!

Goose Bandit
05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
BIG FOOTS FOR SUUURRRREEE

JEDJR
05-16-2003, 07:05 AM
No comparison, BIGFOOTS!

kirsch
05-16-2003, 09:21 AM
The only thing that worries me about BFs is their shiny head. I have hunted over them for years and this has always bothered me about BF's.

So, the BF is $5-8 more expensive and you should flock them. to get around the shiny head, so they are even more expensive. Is their any merit to my concern? I called Higdon last night and they said their factory burned down last year and they had to replace their painting system and they say they found the reason why their paint was flaking before and the new paint for last year was much better

I keep hearing bigfoot is the better decoy and I do like them, but what makes people prefer them. My decoys are put in a trailer and never taken apart if this makes any difference. It seems like I am trying to talk myself into buying Hidgons.

Has anyone bought them in the last year and is the paint actually better?

I realize this is discussed a lot in the threads but people don't typically indicate the reason why the prefer one over the other.

chcltlabz
05-16-2003, 09:42 AM
If you are comparing just the full body dekes, I don't think the higdon's even compare. They don't have nearly the detail that a bigfoot does, and the paint doesn't look nearly as natural IMO, without even bringing up the flaking part.

Also, If you are going to shell out the money for full body decoys, the cost to flock them is nothing. I would say, flock them whatever choice you make. The flocking makes a huge difference.

GQQSE
05-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Welp here's a different opinion. Although if price were the same, I'd go with the foots, there's nothin wrong with higdons. It's not like there on a completely different level of quality (ie.. hardcores), cause there not. Ya, Bigfoots have some more detail and they're more durable.... but also, everyone hunts over em. Higdon offers a few different head positions than BF and is the best bang for your buck... at least for right now.... We'll see what Avery comes out with in the fall. If you're runnin a sporting goods store, and cannot get foots, you'll be happy with the higdons and you're customers should too.

BrianM
05-17-2003, 10:18 AM
I have seen these decoys via the computer and hands down the winner by looks and from the price I was quoted is a steal!!!
Check into being an avery dealer and see what they have to offer!

speck
05-17-2003, 08:14 PM
I would go with the Foots.

druckrc
05-21-2003, 07:51 AM
I would go with foots but if you have the money go with hard cores

cself02
05-21-2003, 08:34 AM
I love the foots, and am not to fond of the Hidgons looks but I will tell you that the hidgon all feeder pack are awesome, I have 8 of those with my foots and you can barely tell the difference. The detail it great also, The white on the butts have started to flake but I will be buying more, So if I were you if this sounds like the deal will fall through then just buy a bunch of the feeder hidgons and you can mix them in with your other big feet, IMO you should have more feeders anyway. Good luck,

and I am a fan of those avery's also, if anyone has a pic of the new full bodies could you pm me.????

JEDJR
05-21-2003, 10:08 AM
are the fullbodies out? I have not heard anything. Bill Cooksey said not sure but would keep in touch. Waiting to see what the Specs look like.

Southern Boy
05-21-2003, 10:54 AM
I agree with GQQSE. For the money difference, you won't be disappointed with the Higdons. I bought some at the first of the year and like the looks of them, especially the feeders. I have also flocked some of them and they look great. For the price difference and the friendly people at Higdon, I think I'm going to go with them from now on.

kirsch
05-21-2003, 02:24 PM
As always, lots of information. The BigFoots finally came through. According to my contact at Clinton, they had way too many orders to fill and even though my order went in early last Summer, I got put way down on list because it was more of a special order type since the person I ordered through wasn't a large volume dealer. In other words, they filled their big orders with their big dealers first which makes sense.

According to Clinton Decoys, they are on their way and should arrive this week. I also put in an order for some stackable motion higdon feeders. Sounds like lots of you have had good success with them, so I will have Big Foots and Higdons in my spread.

I am still waiting on the Avery rep to call me. The head of their sales dept. emailed me and said a territory rep would contact me to be a dealer for them. He said they will post pictures in late June of the new full bodies and start taking orders and hopefully be able to deliver by the hunting season. He said late Fall whatever that means. I live in ND and if it is after early November, I will be ice fishing by then, so no new decoys necessary. I plan to try some of these as well when they come out. I am sure there will be a market if I need to get rid of the bigfoots that are coming in.

fYI: Higdons has a special on stackables right now either through them or an authorized dealer (like me or any other)