PDA

View Full Version : How Do I make the Paint More Durable?????

Nick Johnson
05-18-2003, 12:43 PM
I have been painting my foots but the paint is having a lot of trouble staying on. Would Testors Dull Coat help this problem or is their any other coat of something I can put on to make them scratch resistant???? As of now I can take the paint of with my finger nails..... I need help with this one....

BrianM
05-18-2003, 01:13 PM
like to know what it cost you to get started!
Airbrush and tool cost
Paint and cleaners cost
What cost was there to get started!!!
PS Nick you have inspired me too try this!!!
I have seen some great paint jobs on here by IDBRIAN and flipper not to mention Marcus and Cory but I figured they had painting classes but I have seen your work and have to say I am impressed and unless I am missing something!You said you didn`t try this before.
Again Nick you have done an awsome job!

Mike Elwell
05-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I am having the exact same problem. Do we need to prime them or is there something we can put on them afterwards?

WE DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP FLIPPER!

MDMIKE
05-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Wnat kind of paint are you using?If you are using latex,it will need 2-4 weeks to cure.I am a painting contractor and see this often.A coat of primer never hurts.

kygoose
05-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Nick, the thicker you put it on the easier it will scratch. I airbrushed about 20 doz. last year & no problems. Most of the foots stayed in place at the same pit, but we trailered quite a few & were rough on em & they held up. I think the less paint you put on the better, like Flipper says Hi-Lite.

Flipper
05-18-2003, 08:01 PM
How soon are you trying the scratch test. It will need to dry quite awhile before it cures. If the Bigfoot base will scratch off then the paint you put on is going to come off the same way. It is using the factory paint as a tooth. Check the Foots paint before you start. I think the cheaper SEM clear would be your best choice if you do want to try a clear. :Rich:

Mike Elwell
05-18-2003, 09:34 PM
flipper could you elaborate on the cheaper SEM clear. What is it and where do you get it?

Flipper
05-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Find an auto paint store that sells SEM colorcoat flexible coating (13023) Low luster clear coating. I paid about 7.49 wholesale for a 13 oz. spray can. It is for flat flexible auto bumpers.

Mike Elwell
05-19-2003, 01:44 AM
Do you think it helps that much? I tested the paint before I painted them and it held up fine. The decoy cured for over 2 weeks and it scratches off still. Havent exactly had any warm days though.

Thanks so much for your help!

Flipper
05-19-2003, 06:06 AM
This stuff is made to stay on a bumper going down the road 80 miles an hour, it should help. Try it on one and see what you think. The Testors Dull coat works but it is expensive to do a lot of decoys. The SEM is for plastic so it will stay more flexable.

Mike Elwell
05-19-2003, 03:48 PM
I cant begin to thank you enough for all of your help!

If you could please call me. I have something I would like to give you to show my appreciation.

Thanks

BB
05-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Hey guys,
I found a place to buy this on the internet and this is what it said about the SEM color coat:
COLOR COAT is an elastomeric coating formulated to match, restore or change color on most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. COLOR COAT is a fade-resistant, flexible and permanent coating. COLOR COAT is not a dye.

Application:
-Clean surface thoroughly with soap and rinse with water. Allow to dry and clean with appropriate cleaner: SEM Vinyl Prep or SEM Plastic Prep.
-To promote adhesion on plastics, first use SEM Sand Free.
-Mask off adjacent areas to protect them from overspray.
-Apply paint using light "mist" coats, allowing 5 - 10 minutes dry time between coats.
-For added protection or change of sheen apply SEM Color Coat clear.

kygoose
05-19-2003, 06:37 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents. If you use any sealer, touch up or repainting will be a lot harder, you will have to remove it before recoating.

Flipper
05-19-2003, 07:33 PM
BB,
Never read the directions! You will take all the sport out of it! he he I would noy spray a prep that is designed etch the plastic or you will watch the paint and base run off. I am not using a clear for the reason that Kygoose mentioned. I don't think you will have any trouble with a light coat or 2. The nice thing about a rough piece of plastic is you can't see the crud in the paint job. I don't even work real hard getting the mud out of all the nooks and crannies because I don't think it matters. They will look way better than they did from the factory and you can always touch them up again. Oh and of course this is just MHO! So no lawsuits please if you ruin about 10 dozen! he he I can hear it now, "That Dumba$$ told me to do it"! Always borrow a friends decoy for practice or to try anything new! If he complains, tell him it must be sick! :Rich:

cself02
05-20-2003, 12:27 PM
I Have a friend that put a dull clear coat on his.