PDA

View Full Version : dog training

BMFDuckhunter
05-20-2003, 04:12 PM
anyone have a way to train a lab, to chase down a wounded duck, mine will, but he'll give up after a while.
and he wont touch a goose.
any info would help
thanks shawn, p.s. i',m casey's brother,

Jossie
05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Hey BMFDuckhunter, try posting this up over on the dog forum. A ton of great info and some very good dog handlers over there.
Good luck!

By the way, welcome to the forums:cool: :TT:

AllAboutH20FowL
05-20-2003, 05:00 PM
BMF ...... Jossie has a good reccomendation. Go to the Dog forum and search for some posts on Force Fetching. I think that this may be your problem. If your dog has been trained in Force Fetch then I really don't have any other advise, it may be the it just does not have the desire but I think that may not be the case.

Force Fetch is one of the most important parts in trainig! It teaches that when you send a dog on a retrieve then it has a job to do and not to quit until the command is carried out. It becomes a command just like any other like , sit, stay, heel, etc... . There are many books and videos out that will work through the Force Fetch part in traing and it would be a good idea to pick one up if you are going to go through it with your dog. It could be one of the hardest and drawn out processes in traing and one of the most important also. I will quit here because I could go on forever, but like Jossie suggested go to the dog foruma nd post your ? there or look for a couple threads there on Force Fetching and it should getyou started. I hope this helps and if you need any additional help PM me and I will try and work through it with you.

Welcome to the forum also.:cool: :BZ: :BZ:

cself02
05-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Hello Brother, welcome to the flock :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :BZ: :BZ:

cself02
05-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Well Just to clarify a little, His lab is a great retriever if the duck is dead or at least not taking off, but if it is just wounded and swimming our running away then he will just run after it and pick at it but not pick it up. Some times even bark at it. So how do you get them to pick it up even when its alive,

For the goose problem i probably should of told you before but just get him conditioned for picking up heave things like useing logs for fetching in the water, or keep using that goose dummy you have, Then when you shoot a goose just keep it excitting through the goose and say fetch and then if it doesn't get it just keep doing it, if it still wont pick it up then put it in his mouth,

Good luck see ya this weekend.

Nevada Jim
05-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Do this ... http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force1.html

and this will be the result ...

AllAboutH20FowL
05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
The attatched that Jim put up is very good follow that and you will see a whole lot of this next season.

Cut-um
05-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Jim's link gives a very good explanation of forcing but I have to add that forceing should be left to persons proficient in training dogs and pro trainers. It's not for beginners by any means...:NW: If you need help, contact a pro trainer or hook up with your local HRC.:Rich:

Welcome to the Roost Shawn !!! :TT: