PDA

View Full Version : Airbrushing - Moisture Trap vs General Purpose Filter

Eric VA
05-27-2003, 05:05 PM
I've got a Campbell Hausfeld Mini General Purpose Filter that says that it "is designed to remove most liquid and solid particles from the air supply". It's a 5 micron filter.

Is this general purpose filter good enough to work as a moisture trap for my airbrush or do I need to keep looking?

Thanks in advance!

Nick Johnson
05-27-2003, 07:10 PM
I had the same thing, you will need a moisture trap. The moisture I believe builds up in the hose and you will need a trap to catch it. Dont worry though, I got mine for like 12$.

Flipper
05-27-2003, 07:53 PM
You might be OK if you put the airbrush hose right on the compressor at the filter/trap but if you are planning on having the compressor like out in the garage or away from your work area you will need one right at the start of your airbrush hose because moisture will build up in the hose and give you fits. I have one like a body shop would have with a regulator and filter with a petcock on the bottom to drain the moisture. :Rich:

kygoose
05-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Petcock?:rf: You have one of those Flipper?:Wt

Flipper
05-28-2003, 04:40 AM
Yup, we get along great!:Rich:

Eric VA
05-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Flipper,

Based on your response it sounds like the General Purpose Filter functions as a moisture trap.

I've got a 6.25HP/28gal/150 psi shop compressor that I plan on using as my air source. I am looking for a regulator/filter for my airbrush bench that can handle the 150 psi from the compressor. I've been to the local body shop supply store and they recommended a Sharpe that was ~$120. Do you have any recommendations for something a little cheaper?

The IWATA Moisture Filter w/ Regulator & Gauge is only rated for 100 psi. I know that I can always regulate the air at the compressor to <100psi before I hookup the regulator/filter/airbrush to the compressor but I would prefer to have something that will handle the 150psi for safety's sake.

Thanks again!

Flipper
05-28-2003, 12:45 PM
No I don't have a better solution. Just turn your air down to 100psi when you are using your compressor. Have it set up so you can unplug the line going to the airbrush bench. It was about 20 years ago when I bought mine so I don't know about prices.