PDA

View Full Version : Goose Decoy Flocking

E-Burg Ducker
06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought some flock and adhesive from Van Dykes Taxidermy. It is around $27.00 for a pound of flock and a pint of adhesive. I was told by J. Mellick that VD flock is designed for indoor use only. Anyone know much about the different materials used to make flock. If this stuff is no good for decoys then I would rather send it back and get some flocking a little better suited for outdoor use.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Elwell
06-04-2003, 12:37 PM
your best bet would be to ask a taxidermist! LOL

Mike

soto11
06-04-2003, 03:07 PM
jeremy does a good job and knows his flocking

Prime Time
06-05-2003, 06:43 AM
E-Burg,
All flocking material is not equal. There are many different types of fibers out there. Nylon and Rayon Fibers are two examples that I can think of and there are also a million different adhesives. I'm sure it's not the adhesive that is for indoor use only. With all the different material that fibers are made out of, some types will actually absorb water and start to rot. The tiny fibers can also draw water in and cause the fiber to rot and fall off or even cause the adhesive to come off. Now I know that rayon fibers are somewhat absorbant but not sure how much. And Nylon fibers are not absorbant, but they are also somewhat toxic if enhaled and what not. So most flocking company's use Rayon Fibers. Check with Van Dykes and see what type of fibers they are selling.

honkerhntr
06-09-2003, 06:02 PM
That is true all flocking is not the same.... Well for the most part. The biggest thing is the prep work and glue. I would have to say flocking is like the hair on your head if you... It will come off at some point or another. Lets just say I have found a few things that have helped great on the way flocking holds up on decoys. PM me if you would like some more info.

Thanks
Chad Erdman

Mike Elwell
06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Chad is right about the glue being important but the fibers are just as important! If the fibers dont hold up then why does it matter if it stuck! Just something to think about. All of the prep work should be done no matter what kind of flocking you get. I would check them all out before you buy!