PDA

View Full Version : Removing Paint????

Nick Johnson
06-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I was looking at some of my first dekes and I want to redo em, is there any way to take the paint off em for a fresh start? I tried alcohol and Mineral Spirits but had no success. Thanks for the info...

Flipper
06-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Guess that answers the question about how well does the paint stay on after it cures. :Rich:

Call-em-in
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I need to have some paint removed from some of my older painted ones too, I've thought about trying a sandblaster with superfine sand, but haven't gotten the guts to try it yet......Couldn't you just give them another coat? Or slap some regular paint remover on them and let it soak? Post up what works when you try it!!

Eric VA
06-06-2003, 08:15 PM
What about a powerwasher w/ a high pressure nozzle?

Flipper
06-06-2003, 09:02 PM
IMHO, you don't want to do anything that will loosen the factory paint that was the tooth that kept your paint from coming off. Your best bet is to try and use a base color to match the original paint and start over. You can even sponge on a couple different colors by pressing the sponge all over the part that you painted and in a way, camo your paint job with some base colors and after you go back and do the re-paint it will all blend in and look great. Don't wipe the paint on with a sponge. Put some paint on an old plate or something and dab your sponge on it then press it on some cardboard to spread the paint out and get it soaked into the sponge. Then start dabbing it on the decoy. Practice on a test paper, you will see how it puts a mottled design on it. Don't overdue the paint, you can always add more. Remember the reason you are doing this is because you overpainted in the first place. Get crazy and have fun!:Rich:

h2ofwlr
06-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Nick,
I assume you have plasic bodied decoys. Flipper is correct, leave them alone and just repaint over them. Here is why, polyethylene plastic has the characteristic of nothing sticking to it. So basically it is very difficult for the primers to stick to it (alla Carry Lite decoys), so leave it alone IMO.

Trigger
06-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Nick
I painted a few decoys with to much paint. Spoke with Flipper and got some advise,, Shade . . NOT Paint.. Shade.

I almost have to say it over and over.. Shade Shade Shade..

Anyway. with the decoy.I would go back to the start. Get a virgin decoy that you haven't painted yet. match up the paint and paint over the decoy. Not all of it.. just the areas of the feather that are of the wrong colour,, salvage what colours on the body that you can and fix the lease necessary.

Just 2 cents from a guy that did the same thing

Trigger