PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jossie, check out the airshow!

Flipper
06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
My Kids are doing daily airshows for us. They are fun to watch.:Rich:

Flipper
06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
You can talk to them when they fly over and they do their feed chuckle.

Jossie
06-10-2003, 09:45 PM
That is awesome flipper!!

So are they still thinking of you as momma?? and will they stick around all year?
If not, it is going to be a sad day in Indiana when those guys fly away. Be sure and send them Southwest and will be sure they make through here ok. Be sure and put some nice "bright" neck collars on them so we will be able to I.D. them.:uh: :hest: :hest: :rf: :JW:

Well I have my 2nd decoy carved (but not painted yet). I'm going to the Ks waterfowl contest in Great Bend this weekend. Hopefully some of the guys from the forum will have a digital camera there and will be nice enough to take a pic for me and post it here.I have a loooonnng ways to go but am learning all the time. :cool:

Jubilee
06-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Those sure would be a lot of fun to watch.:Art: :Art: :Art: :Art: :Art: :Art:

Flipper
06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Jossie, I don't know how long they will stick around. They are getting real spooky and I can't get real close to them for close ups anymore. They act like they don't trust me or something!:hest: They love to fly and will launch in a heartbeat. They come up in the yard to eat out of their old pen, but they stand in the door forever trying to get the nerve to go inside. They stay down at the pond and I am sure they have been dealing with critters trying to get them and have become more wild because of it. When 10 deer walked up to get a drink on one of the first evenings they stayed out all night they freaked and swam over to the other side and climbed out on the bank. They do hotlaps around the farm getting higher and higher, then they do the duck thing and circle a bunch to loose altitude and land. All I can say is I did one hell of a job teaching them to fly! Whatever I did. Wild Mallards come and hang out with them sometimes and that could be helping on the spooky part. I think I will raise a bunch next year! :Art:

GOOSKI
06-11-2003, 02:54 PM
How many eggs did you start with? And how many ducks are still around right now? That seems like a pretty fun thing to do. How much work is involved?

Flipper
06-11-2003, 06:44 PM
I have 20, I bought day old chicks. It is a lot of work keeping them warm and in fresh pine shavings when they are little. They play in their water and make a mess, but it was worth it to me because I learned a lot about raising ducks. I now have all the equipment. I started them in a metal horse tank in my garage with a brooder light. They grow fast and it is work to stay ahead of them. Lots of fun.:Rich:

Flipper
06-11-2003, 07:53 PM
See the smiles on their little duck faces!:Rich:

Flipper
06-12-2003, 06:11 AM
We had some hard rain last night and when I looked out this morning all of the ducks were gone except for one drake. I have no idea why he is not with the rest. They must have flown farther and found the river or something. It will be interesting to see if they do come back. I will be set for duck food when I start some next year if they don't cause I just bought two 50 pound bags. :Rich:

GOOSKI
06-12-2003, 06:46 AM
So you bought 20 and all 20 survived so far. That is pretty good I would have thought some would have died early. It would be interesting to band them and see how far they go in their travels. Kind of bitter sweet to get that call though, knowing somebody is calling cause one of your kids is, gulp, gone.

GQQSE
06-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Man Flipper... I find what you're doing truly interesting. Someday, when I get out in the country, I would love to do something like you're doing... I wonder why the left now???? I'm sure they'll be back.... Can that one drake that's left behind even fly?

Backwing
06-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Great results Flipper. Were you able to band any of them? Will you do it again?

Flipper
06-12-2003, 08:32 AM
One acted like it could not breath and got sick about 3 weeks ago and I had to ring his neck and put him out of his pain. They were all flying at the time so I don't know if he crashed or something or swallowed something that got lodged somewhere. So I ended up with 10 drakes and 10 hens. Most of the time they fly together, but they split up in small groups sometimes. I have no idea why the one drake was out there by himself this morning. I hope they come back, I miss them already!:CY:

GOOSKI
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
How long of a time period was it from the time you got them, till basically they were on there own? It sounds like you were/are still feeding them. Next year are you going with mallards again or are you going to try some other duck or a mix?

Flipper
06-12-2003, 10:16 AM
When I came home for lunch 14 were back and 2 wild mallards also, 1 hen and 1 drake. They might have followed the wild ducks out this morning. 6 are still out exploring I guess.
GOOSKI, I keep food in their old pen and for the most part they come up in the yard from the pond and eat in the morning and evening. They are always out in my huge yard by the pond looking for bugs and they go crazy getting worms on a rainy day. I had a fenced (chicken wire) area with kids wading pools and rocks around them so they could climb in. Then I had a 10'x10' dog kennel covered with chicken wire and 24" hardware cloth around the bottom that I put them in at night so nothing could get them. I think it is about 70 days before they are able to fly from when they hatch. I would walk them down to the pond and they would play then they would follow me back to their other area. I kept them in my garage in a smaller pen that was 8' x 6' and 4' high until it got warm. I was building things like crazy to stay ahead of their growing.

yallerlab
06-12-2003, 08:53 PM
That is soooooooo cool, Jeff. I thought about
posting up and asking you about them a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't on the site but about once every two weeks or so\
and I kept forgetting. I've never raised ducks, but I have
raised quail and pheasant. Didn't you get them at a
farm store? They seem to be close enough to the wild
genetics to survive. You must be a very proud Daddy!!

Flipper
06-13-2003, 04:39 AM
18 stayed out here all night, so most came back. I bought them at a TSC farm store. They got them in when they ordered all of their chicks. :Rich:

Woods and Water
06-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Just finished reading about your extended family....man that is cool!!!:rof:

honker slayer
06-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Good work flipper, glad to see you had such good luck with the flamily.:BM:

Jubilee
06-15-2003, 11:54 AM
That is an awesome story. It would be cool to see how many make it back after hunting season and if they bring back wild mates.