PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

Jubilee
06-10-2003, 03:30 PM
I just took Jubilee out to the lake for awhile and let her do a little swimming, upon returning from the lake, I have noticed that she is coming in heat, now the question is do I get her bred or do I wait until the next time around. I realize several key points and deciding factors. She just turned 2 in April, so I know that there will be plenty of time to get this done later, but right now things are working out where it would be easy to get it done.

1. I will lose her for the beginning of hunting season if not the first half.

2. She will have pups on her for the hottest part of the year, which is harder on her as well as the pups.

3. Did I mention that I will lose my best friend for part of her hunting season.

4. Who do I get to do the servicing? I know a couple of eligible bachelors that would more than happy to do the nasty with her.

cself02
06-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Jub-

I am not the breeder expert, but here is my take on it, from what I gathered and when I did the math, you should have all your pups to there homes buy around the first of october, so it should cut into hunting, however her teets would still be a little saggy for the first part of the duck season but that should be too much to worry about unless it started icing over.

As far as the heat goes that might be rough, I kept Chase in the house for practically the hole time she was pregnant up until the last couple weeks and then put her outside (cause i didn't want her to whelp on my floor, then a few days after she whelped I bought the baby pool you saw in some pics and put them in the house they wont be able to climb out for at lest 3 weeks, then I moved them out side, so things can be done to get around weather anyway.

Just some ideas, Good luck in what you choose, they sure are fun, Let me know if you decide I can give you a few extra pointers I learned in the path.

Jubilee
06-10-2003, 03:39 PM
I kinda hit on all the negatives didn't I. Well everybody loves puppies, and I would love to have the little pitter patter of little chewing babies running around.:Art: :Art: :Art:

Cut-um
06-10-2003, 08:30 PM
In so far as servicing, I'd have to suggest "Ganderman", he's highly recommended by "Skeet" ...:hest: :uh: :hest: His signature says it all, "Cuz its my duty to please that booty!:tn:

I don't guess he's particular what kind of booty???:OM: :NW: :VC:

chcltlabz
06-11-2003, 06:32 AM
If she just turned 2, have you had her hips certified yet?

Just me, but I wouldn't breed her until you get the hips checked.

First off, if she has borderline hips already, the stress of having pups will pull a lot of calcium out of her, and may speed up the deterioration of her joints. Second, its better for the breed in general if you make sure you aren't passing on bad hips or even marginal hips. Third, the pups will bring a much better price if both parents are cerf'd.

As far as hunting season, I'd be expecting a poor hunting season out of her. You will have virtually no warm up training time, plus she will be low on energy, and struggle through the season at best.

I'd wait if I were you.

cself02
06-11-2003, 08:09 AM
whoops I just read my post and noticed I can't spell once again, I meant to say shouldn't instead of should, kind of makes a difference, but like chcltlabz said you wont get too much pre training in, i have still been working with chase a little but she does get tired really fast, good thing I will have the back up in training to help here out.

:Art: :Art: :Art:

Good luck jub, I can't wait to have another litter they sure are exciting.

Ruff
06-11-2003, 08:21 AM
If you want to get a respectable price for the pup's and do something for the breed at the same time. Get the Eye's, Hips, and Elbow's of the Stud and Bitch checked and passed.

The time of year for the breeding is off to me. You should breed her in the next cycle. This will give you time to do the above. Also the pup's are born late winter early spring. People will be able to train all spring and summer. A breeding now and the only training will be in the fall when you need to be hunting. Then have to wait till winter is over and start up again.

Does the Stud have any titles?? NAFC, CNAFN, MH, HRCH, these are some abreveations for titles that respective buyers will look for. One it show's these are field line dogs and not show dogs. It also show's trainability. The more titles in the both dogs pedigree the better.

Bottom line is you have time to get the above done and resurch a good stud for your bitch. There is a lot more to being a breeder if you want to do it right and have quality pup's. So do what's right for the breed and good luck in all that you do.

Ruff

Jubilee
06-11-2003, 10:27 AM
I have pretty much considered waiting until the next cycle, mostly b/c it will be hot when she has them, and it will be her first litter.

shootem
06-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Jubilee what is the main reason you want your female to have puppies?

goose me TX
06-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Man. I have to strongly agree with chcltlabz and ruff about getting the hips certified. I see a lot of gorgeous labs that come in with bad hips...its such a shame. I just hate to see people breeding these dogs, its so sad.

chcltlabz
06-13-2003, 06:11 AM
GMTX, I agree, anyone who has seen a dysplastic dog won't even think about breeding a dog with even marginal hips. Good hips in the parents won't guarantee good hips in the pups, but the chances are definitely better.

There's nothing more sad than watching your favorite hunting partner not be able to get off the floor under his own power. At least if they get hit by a car or die of a heart attack, it goes quick with little suffering, but bad hips make him suffer constantly. Makes you want to cry, because there's nothing you can do to help.