PDA

View Full Version : Stay Command

10's Only
06-17-2003, 09:17 PM
I Have a ten week old lab that sits on command and will retreive a bumper and a duck dummy. How do you teach the stay command. I have had a little luck by throwing the dummy and holding the pup in the sit position until he calms down then sending him on the retreive. I emphasis stay when I do this. Any Suggestions.

Thanks, 10's Only

chcltlabz
06-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Many people don't even teach the stay command. In a way, if your dog is already trained to sit, then stay is overkill. I admit it, I use stay as more of a reinforcement command.

If sit is taught properly, the dog should recognize the command as "sit until I'm told to do something else". If that is not the case, I'd work that into your routine.

A riding crop, or stick work well for teaching sit. Give the verbal command, and pat her on the butt with the crop. You don't want to beat her with it, just tap her to get her to drop that rear end. Walk away, toss a ball, or whatever to get her attention and try to get her to stand up. When she does, tell her "NO" and repeat the sit command, and a tap on the butt. At this stage, I'd keep her on the check cord, so she can't get away, and avoid the commands. This is also a great time to teach the fun bumper concept. Teach her that if she sits and stays until told otherwise, she gets to fetch the bumper and have fun. If she doesn't stay, pick it up yourself, and deny the retrieve. If she continues to give problems, then kennel the dog, and let her calm down before trying again. I'm not saying use kenneling as punishment, but stop the bad behavior before it becomes habit. Believe me, if she starts to associate making the retrieve as a reward for good deeds, then your training will be a snap afterwards.

If you chose to use the stay command, I'd use it as a reinforcement when the pup refuses the command. Give the first sit, and when she gets up, give the "no", sit, and "stay". She will start to associate the reinforcement command.

This is by no means a cure all, but its my opinion on the situation, given what you told us.

chcltlabz
06-18-2003, 06:18 AM
One more thing I noticed after posting my response. At 10 weeks old, I wouldn't begin this just yet. I noticed the age after the long post and didn't want to erase all that typing.

At 10 weeks, you should still be bonding with the pup, and I wouldn't worry too much about "teaching" and I would focus on letting the pup learn for itself. Any significant pressure at this age will be very counter-productive.

I'd recommend getting a good retriever training book like Tritronics book, or 10 minute retriever, or hey put fetch it up. There are tons of them out there that will help you get a good start from this age.

huntingmarsh
06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
start off by telling her to sit and slowly walk away and putting your hands out like you were going to tell a car to stop. Keep doing this till she just understands what the sit means. Then after you have that down try telling her to sit then walk back and say sit, sit, stay, sit. Keep putting stay out there until she knows the difference from sit and stay. chcltlabz explained pretty much everything you would need to know. BUT if you tell your dog to sit and walk away and she gets up, try getting a long rope and tie it to her collar and walk behind her and walk around a tree and then walk in front of her. So if she gets up pull of the rope and tell her to sit and she will understand that she is suppose to stay no matter what. Thats just my 2 cents.

Corey

widgnwhacker
06-20-2003, 10:16 PM
HEAL is the only command I use to steady my dog before and after sending him out for a bumper or bird. :TT:

WW

WOODIE13
07-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Drive and control are opposites of each other. The more control you put on a dog, the less drive the dog will have. 10 weeks is awfully young to teach something other than something basic. The maturity factor is not there yet, IMO. Be happy with the sit for now and save the stay for 6 months.

When teaching it, use sit command followed with the stay. If the dog breaks, escape the dog back to the exact postion where it broke and place it in the sit using upward leash pressure and downward pressure on the hips. A little tap on the muzzle will sometimes help on a strong willed dog. Start at 5-10 second interval and once it has stayed that long, throw the dogs toy for a reward. Gradually increase the interval until the has it down down pat.