PDA

View Full Version : colors in labs

wa beak breaker
06-18-2003, 08:54 PM
i have a 1.5 yr old lab whom i want to breed in mar of 03 she has dominant colors of yellow and choc. in her back ground, even though she is black and only has 2 black colors in both sides. my freind has told me if i want yell. and choc. pupies i need to find a male with similar colors in his back ground but be yellow or chocolate. i know colors in pups are hard to determine just looking for some advice or past expeirences. thanks

cself02
06-19-2003, 07:27 AM
I am by far experianced with the colors because we never had anything but black pups until my last litter, The dame came from a yellow & Black, and the Sire came from a yellow and choc. Both Sire and Dame were Black and I got 6 black and 3 yellow. Suprisingly whiteish yellow's too, I am sure they will get darker as they get older but they are sure cute. I think most of it is luck of the draw though. The litter that my female came from like I said was a yellow and black and there was only one yellow from the litter of 12 I believe.

Good luck.

Sandy
06-19-2003, 07:45 AM
written by Amy Dahl that talks about the genetics of breeding Labs. I cannot remember where I read it but I'm sure if you went to her and her husband John's website you could find it. I'm not a scientist but I agree w/cself. Its a crapshoot at best. I just bred a black female (from a yellow sire and black dam) with a choc. male (from a yellow sire and a choc. dam) and got a single yellow, 2 chocs. (my wife says, I think they're blk) and 6 blacks. We'll know for sure about the 2 chocs. when we get them under lights on Mon. at the vets.

You may ask how I can't tell the difference... Well, my bitch throws the darkest, sable brown pups I have ever seen and I can't see a color difference until they are 3 - 4 weeks old! My wife says she can see it in they're faces. She was 100% correct on the last litter... A single little choc. female! Oh well...

Woods and Water
06-24-2003, 06:30 PM
There is only two "for sures"when breeding labs that I have ever read on.

The first is two yellow labs will produce a litter of all yellow puppies becouse of the recessive genes they carry.

The second is that two chocolate dogs will produce a litter that (will not have any black puppies)only chocolate and yellows,becouse neither dog would be carrying a dominant gene.

I have heard of a blood test to exam the genetic make up ....I dont know anyone who has tryed this though.

It is still a toss up in most cases unless you have two yellow labs.

Nevada Jim
06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/color.html

http://www.labbies.com./genetics.htm