PDA

View Full Version : OFA CERTS

waterfowler
06-19-2003, 08:12 AM
I want to get my 3 year old Male Black Lab Hip/Elbow/Eye certification done prior to moving on to breeding in the future. When i get this done I want to do it when I get to Washington in October. I am looking for a place and approximate fees for getting this done. Anmy reccomendations will be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if I will be breeding or fixing him in the future.
Thanks, Chad

shootem
06-19-2003, 11:46 AM
I just had prelims done on my young male,15 months. They had to put the dog under 90.00 dollars. If they can take the x-ray with out sedation 45.00. The vet I go to is very reasonable. I would ask around and find a vet had has done and had submitted several OFA applications. Here is a link where you can download or order the application forms for OFA certification. All forms are free.
http://www.offa.org/apps.html

goose me TX
06-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Definately find a vet who is certified to take the xrays, they go through extensive training to do these properly. OFA's are different then regular radiograghs, measurements and postioning must be EXACT if you are to get acceptable pictures. In my experience, there are few dogs who can go through this procedure without at least a mild sedative. It is very important to have the dog relaxed and extremely still for this. Cost is usually anywhere from $75-150, depending on sedation needs. Let me applaud you for going through this extra expense before breeding your dog. There is nothing worse then seeing a beautiful young dog with hip displasia due to poor breeding. In the end you get more money for your pups and you get the satisfaction of know ing you are improving the bloodlines!