PDA

View Full Version : Fred Zink Decoys

honker slayer
06-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Anybody know when his new decoy is coming out?:Rich:

DUCKDIGGLER
06-22-2003, 03:16 PM
I heard rumor that they should be ready for the fall. But that is RUMOR. Haven't heard anything definitive, yet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

kirsch
06-23-2003, 07:11 AM
I actually tried to sign up as an Avery dealer as I am a Higdon dealer already. Thought this might allow me to see the finished product sooner and get my hands on some.

The person at Avery said pictures should be available late June or early July, so any day. He said Fred wanted lots and lots of head positions but they are hoping to get a couple of different head positions out this year. He mentioned how many but can't remeber if he said 4 or 6. He said Fred actually was showing them how they needed to be painted and the whole 9 yards. Anyway, to make a long story short he said they would be taking orders hopefully this year, but this person was very doubtful if the decoys would be able to make this year's hunting season. At least not the ND hunting season which would end before most others.

In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath for this year. It sounds like many more head positions coming out in the future, so it might be good to wait a year or two on these.

Jubilee
06-23-2003, 07:46 AM
That's too bad, I was hoping that they would be ready for this year, oh well, one more thing to wish for and be piling up during another off season.:Rich: :BM: :SK:

goosedog
06-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Fellas..

The Fullbodies, floaters and Shells will all be out...

The fullbodies are going to be last but should be available by sept. Yes there will be multiple heads. 3 or 4 this year with more to come. I have seen them...Fellas...dont buy anything else until you see them...AND THAT INCLUDES HARDCORES.....I am serious...they will be in strong comp and they are going to be like $290.00 per dozen....Them China men work cheap!!

Fred worked his ass off to make sure that everything about the anatomy of these dekes was perfect...When you see these you can see alot of problems with HArdCores...and I own 6 dozen!!

I have already sold by 12 dozen Bigfoots to get ready for these new Avery Dekes.. Whatever u do...wait ....dont buy until you see them. YOu will regret it ...

Black Brant
06-24-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks GD, Guess i'll have to hold off on buying BF's :TT:

MC8
06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Do the fullbodies have anykind of movement system on them?-Mike

Woods and Water
06-25-2003, 07:55 AM
I have seen pics only and I will be waiting till they come out to see in person...they look to be the next new HOT deke!!I heard they will have around 8-9 head postions...anyone know for sure?

Jubilee
06-25-2003, 10:45 AM
Better than HC:HUH: I don't know if I can hold off that long. I sure would like to see some pics at least just to give me a better reason to wait on purchasing anything, just a couple of "testimonials" telling me to wait. I would like to see them with my own eyes. Just the way I like to do things I guess:BM:

BrianM
06-25-2003, 02:35 PM
I can`t wait and Goose dog would know if anybody would!

goosedog
06-25-2003, 05:15 PM
On the movement question....Avery has the Universal Motion stakes coming out..A little work on your part will allow use of these with the Fullbodies...Get it?...I honestly dont know how many head positions there are going to be...Fred has been careful to not just add heads...Each head affects the the posture of the goose...So not only do you have to carve a head...you have to carve a whole new body...Lots of work..

The bottom line is a mass produced decoy with the detail and anatomy of the specialized decoys...

FANATIC
06-25-2003, 06:14 PM
I would think the motion system coming out soon for foots will work on these as well.... ???

Mike Elwell
06-26-2003, 03:53 AM
If people have seen this picture then why can somebody not post it up?

BrianM
06-26-2003, 02:16 PM
I saw the picture on Zink`s computer at the IWA show in March!!!
I wish I did have the photo!

GOOSKI
06-27-2003, 06:21 AM
I believe if you look at the new DU magizine, there is an ad for the Avery series of ground blinds. On this ad on maybe the migrator blind ad - there are a couple of geese full bodies shown. I believe these are prototypes of the new decoys. I just received the mag yesterday.

goosedog
07-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Yep...you are correct...those are the "Polys" its the first one out of the mold.
You should see them next to a BigFoot...Makes a Foot look GOOFY!!! I am tellin ya...A massed produced Deke with feather detail and perfect anatomy.

Maxima
07-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Does anybody know what kind of base the Zink fullbodies stand on? Are there legs and feet that can be attached and taken off for transportation and storage like a Bigfoot?

don835
07-02-2003, 11:17 AM
I just recieved my first dozen XPS Extreme Readhead brand Canada Goose shells. I'm not for sure if Fred had a hand in designing/making these decoys but I can tell ya this, someone did a hellova job on these shells. They are near standard at 22" but the feather detail and paint are exceptional. These decoys are heavy duty and look GREAT. Best looking Canada shell decoy I have ever owned, price was right too. If the full bodies are anything close to these shells, they are going to be Great decoys..............but nothing close to Hardcore. Later, Murph.:Rich:

NWMOhunter
07-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Are these along the same lines of the Greenhead Gear duck decoys? I saw the pics in the Cabela's catalog and the duck decoys look good. They are already backordered. Guess the goose dekes will be about the same.

GOOSKI
07-07-2003, 11:18 AM
I just got a Wing supply catalog and it says there is a "avery life-size full body-active pack and a looker pack" 6 for 109.99. Also the G & H "Lessor for 4 for 119.99. No spam intended, if this is just delete it. Anyways this is just for your information.

Woods and Water
07-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info....i wnat to try these dekes!!!

JK
07-07-2003, 05:42 PM
wow. i just looked at the new DU at the avery ad and these decoys are definately kickass.

ext. goose
07-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Someone asked for a picture I hope this works these are the avery goose decoys.

kirsch
07-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Guys, I seem to be the one who is spreading the bad news all the time about these decoys not being available this year.

First, this picture posted looks fantastic. This decoy looks great. Now the bad news, I had talked to avery rep earlier this year and they said they MIGHT make late Fall, but weren't sure. Well, when I saw them in the WingSupply catalog, I got all excited and was going to pre-order as Wing Supply said they expected them anytime.

Thought I would check my local Scheels store and they said they had an order in for them too, so I thought I would buy through them instead. Scheels called Avery today and their Avery rep said they will not be shipping Full Bodies this year at least not to my local Scheels store which seems to mean they won't be shipping to anybody this year.

This is really disappointing as I need to buy some more decoys, but I can't wait until next year. If Avery comes out with them, I am sorry to spread this information, but it appears to be true. Just tring to keep everyone informed. Too bad as I would love to own some of these bad boys.

twells
07-08-2003, 01:08 PM
those look pretty good!!

where did you find that pic of the decoys at??

i don't know if they are better than the hc's though

cself02
07-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Is that goose in the background one too or is the real thing????? Those look sweet , can't wait:Art:

Woods and Water
07-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Good looking deke....I will be ordering them when I can!!!!

honker slayer
07-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on some of them badboys!!!:Rich:

kirsch
07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
I agree they don't look better than a HC but the price Wing Supply had on them if they would have come was 6 for 109.00. Wow for this price, there is going to be lots of goose decoy companies worried. Only problem is getting them out.

FANATIC
07-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Looks awesome... Great colours for sure IMO.... I too agree they are no HC... That bird in the background has to be the real thing...

goosedog
07-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Fellas...

I am a HC lover!...but if you study Goose anatomy very closely....HC's have flaws...Like for instance...The head on the Sentry....you wont find geese with brow ridges like a caveman!...Fred is very anal about that level of detail...Put them next to each other with a very educated eye and you can pick out things...

cself02
07-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Well I have seen the durability of his shell decoys, and If these full bodies are the same then you would see a bunch of these in my spread before you see HC's or even Big feet from now on, Plus almost everyone is hunting over foots, this will make things a little better.

I can't wait, Hope they price is right like stated!!!!

cself02
07-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know what the feet look like on these??:Art:

goose man mike
07-09-2003, 09:26 AM
ya it may not have to HC NAME but you flock them heads and what you have is a HC for more then half the price IMO

fred knows his stuff and them are one hell of a dek

time to start thinking about getting rid of the foots

mike

ext. goose
07-09-2003, 10:36 AM
I got the picture from an Avery Rep. I also got a few pictures of the floaters. The e-mail said they would have three foot styles, three different body styles and 6 different head postitions.

twells
07-09-2003, 03:02 PM
what do the floater look like???

aren't they just like the greenhead gear?

lets see the pic

honker slayer
07-09-2003, 05:56 PM
anybody know what stores are going to sell them?:Rich:

goosedog
07-09-2003, 05:58 PM
No it is not the same floater...It is a completely new floater. Once again..Big Foot has nothing on these babies. You will start seeing more and more pics soon.

ext. goose
07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Avery floater Looks pretty cool. I'm picking through the old dekes and saving pennies for these.

Joshua Folkerts
07-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Does anyone have a picture of what th base looks like. Is at a big foot base are a like a dowl. please let me know

goosedog
07-10-2003, 10:54 AM
The base is an actual foot base....Fred used real goose legs and feet to make the mold. They have the illusion of walking and the feet are turned in (pigeon toed) to look exactly the way geese walk.

ext. goose
07-10-2003, 10:58 AM
From What I can tell there will be three foot styles, the left foot forward, right foot forward and feet together. Heres another floater. Tell me that sleeper don't look awesome.

twells
07-10-2003, 11:29 AM
so the zink decoys are the greenhead gear decoys?? is that right, or are they two separte decoys??

cself02
07-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by twells
so the zink decoys are the greenhead gear decoys?? is that right, or are they two separte decoys??

They are the same, they were called XPS's last year!!!! But this year the paint is better, My bro just ordered 2 doz, duck

Heavy Gougin'
07-12-2003, 05:49 PM
WOW! Fullbodies look great. Can't wai to see the different head,body, and feet styles. The sleepers look nice to, but still don't touch a Big foot in my mind. I see the sentry and just immediatley thought to myself FLAMBEAU! Guess thats why there are several decoy companies out there, at least one of them will sucker us waterfowlers into buying there cheap plastic.

HG

Jubilee
07-13-2003, 03:48 PM
I can only think of one thing to say, "I'm exicted". I am planning on adding some decoys to the spread but for the price that was put up here.................

I guess I will have to wait and see when they come out.

kirsch
07-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Another update on these fullbodies. I called a web company that said they had them, but they didn't. They said they are still hearing August from Avery, but I didn't believe them so I called an Avery rep again.

I think they are sick of me calling. When I asked about the fullbodies, I was transferred in like 1/10th of a second to another person and when the lady answered they transferred me to, you could tell she gets this question a lot.

Her exact answer was, "I am not sure what I can tell you." After talking to her for awhile, she said that the latest news she heard was late September they should be back from China. Figure a couple of weeks for shipping and probably early to mid-October if all goes well.

I was the one who said my local Scheels had to cancel their order because Avery said no full-bodies for this year. If these dates are true I can see why. In ND, our geese are many times migrated all through by late October and early November and no one typically buys decoys this late in the season. They would be stuck with lots of decoys. So, they appear that they might make this season anyway. Just the latest update.

Quack Smacker
07-17-2003, 03:49 PM
"We will try to carry these but our Buyer has been told they will not be available until Nov 1st."

Gander Mountain

Other's may get them sooner, but this is what Gander told me?!?!

Who knows?? We'll get'em eventually!

Q.S.

ext. goose
07-17-2003, 10:48 PM
If they get them late enogh they may have some good after the season sales.

cself02
07-18-2003, 10:08 AM
There on the web site now, Check em out 8 different head positions!!! truely awesome 125 to 140 for 6.:Art: :Art: :Art:

DUCKDIGGLER
07-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the update!

Man they look good!

twells
07-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by cself02
There on the web site now, Check em out 8 different head positions!!! truely awesome 125 to 140 for 6.:Art: :Art: :Art:

i only see 4 poses. they show both sides of each pose so it looks like 8. there are 2 feeder and 2 upright poses.

i was under the impression that their would be many more poses than that. they need to make a rester as well as some different feeders. i just am not real into the poses on those feeders. they look to fake?? maybe it's just me though?

goosedog
07-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Guys...the poses on those feeders are from nothing but pictures of actual geese feeding. I think what happens is that people have been looking at Foots for so long that they start thinking that geese really look like a BigFoot...THEY DONT!

Most guys dont take the time to go out and take pictures and study geese doing what they do. My suggestion for what it is worth would be to take the time to study them and develop a very educated opinion. Have some faith that the people developing these things...Fred Zink...have spent thousands of hours studying them...Their eye is much more educated.

don835
07-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Goosedog...ya hit the nail on the head!!! Freddy know's what he's doing here. That's why I am on the list for some Green Heads. Just throwin it out there.:Rich: Later, Murph.

FANATIC
07-22-2003, 04:55 PM
goosedog, great point indeed... I love foots no questions, but they are no real goose IMO...

gvells
07-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I throw my full bodies in a big box trailer. They get worked pretty hard. To me its all about how well the paint stays on. I have never seen good paint durability on any Chinese decoy. These may be better but it will be a first. Im getting old you get more conserative as you age. I buy American when I can. 54 and ripped.

cself02
07-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by goosedog
Guys...the poses on those feeders are from nothing but pictures of actual geese feeding. I think what happens is that people have been looking at Foots for so long that they start thinking that geese really look like a BigFoot...THEY DONT!

Most guys dont take the time to go out and take pictures and study geese doing what they do. My suggestion for what it is worth would be to take the time to study them and develop a very educated opinion. Have some faith that the people developing these things...Fred Zink...have spent thousands of hours studying them...Their eye is much more educated.

You are right!!! They look strange but that is they way the look when feeding!!! I love em!!

honker slayer
07-25-2003, 08:06 PM
I think they look pretty good:Rich: Can't wait to get hold of some!!!:BM:

don835
07-26-2003, 12:05 PM
I really like the flat black appearance of the heads on these decoys. I may not need to flock 'em. Looks like flocking would cover the feather detail on the neck. Guess I'll just have to make that decision after a couple cold one's.:cool: later, Murph.

:Rich:

GOOSEHUNTERID
07-28-2003, 12:36 PM
I think the decoys look ok. My question to all of you is why is the alert bird and the semi alert bird look the same. To me the feeder is not correct and i look at geese everyday. The active feeder is correct from what i can see. Also the idea of the seperated legs, giving the illustion of movement doesnt work. I have hunted over 100 stuffers with the same idea and they still look like a toy soldier. I know fred studies and is proud of his work and he does a good job, but if the only flaw on the super sentry hardcore is the caveman eyebrow you are reaching a little bit. I am not sure how a mass produced paint job can match a detail paint job. If it looks too good to be true it might to good to be true. I have never seen feathers on real geese lay down the same way avery has them designed.

FANATIC
07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
I am suprised also that the alert and semi-alert look so close to the same.... Think the dekes look sweet though...

don835
08-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Guys,

I asked nearly the same question on the Avery site. You need to check out Freddy's response. Sure changed my way of thinking.
Later, Murph.:Rich:

FANATIC
08-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey Murph, I take it you are the Don, Fred is replying to in a post I seen on another site by Bill Cooksey where he is posting a reply to a "customer" answered by Freddie...??? something about a skiny neck on a sentry VS a fat neck ... does make sense....

don835
08-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Fanatic...the neck thing makes sense to me too. It's just that it's tough to deviate from conventional thinking especially when you have had success with it. I need to start thinking more like a Goose and not like a Hunter. Hell, just ask my Bride! She think's I'm there already!HA. :cool: Later, Murph.

honker slayer
08-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Hey Don, where at on the avery site did you find that info?:Rich:

FANATIC
08-03-2003, 09:09 PM
on their message boards....

honker slayer
08-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Thanks fanatic:Rich:

Woods and Water
08-04-2003, 01:49 PM
the message boards on the Avery site are nice for info on these dekes......thanks

honker slayer
08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Read freddies reply, makes alot of sense if you think about it.:BM: