PDA

View Full Version : a few basic how and when questions

VTblackfoot
06-27-2003, 04:02 AM
OK guys I got my pup the other day. He is 3 months old. When should I start working with him and what things should I work on? Some info about working on commands would be helpful too. I am getting that book called "Waterdog", but it is not here yet, so just looking for some basic info to get started. Thanks in advance.

Nick
06-27-2003, 03:30 PM
I have trained 2 dogs in the past and getting ready to train a new pup for myself using Wolters Water Dog and Game Dog books. Some people will tell you the info is outdated. But I have turned out excellent dogs with the system. Both dogs would do 200-300 yard bling retrieves, take hand signals, etc. All I can say is follow the book step by step and be patient. I found the video to be helpfull also. I think the system is excelent for the hunter!

As a side note, don't worry about being a little behind accoring to the book's time table. One of the pups i trained didn't arrive until he was 13 weeks old. You can catch up if you are patient.

Nick

VTblackfoot
06-27-2003, 04:15 PM
thanks, Nick - anyone else have ideas??? There must be a few others out there.

cself02
06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
I have had great luck with Water dog as well, I have the book and movie and think it is a usful tool, I have trained and my dad has trained several pups off this and they have all been excellant hunting dogs, I am sure some people will tell you different though but for a hunting dog it is great, for field training and all that someone else could help you out,

Good luck and have fun.

shootem
06-27-2003, 05:26 PM
In my opinion there are much better books out there. Try The Ten Minute Retriever by John and Amy Dahl or Smartworks for Retrievers by Evan Graham.
Here are a couple of links to two great retrivering training sites.
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=9
http://www.virtualslr.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

DUCKSBANE
06-30-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with cself02 and Nick. I have had great luck with my dogs, and all my info has come from Wolters water dog book. Simple to the point and it has worked great for me.
Good luck,
Dave

Woods and Water
06-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Well another Wolters fan here I have trained all of my labs with this and they can hunt with the best..Gun dog is good to.

VTblackfoot
06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
I picked up the "10 minute retriever" - should be here tomorrow. Have been playing some fetch games with him. Was going great, but he is suddenly refusing to retrieve:PO: I am sure the book will address this, but any thoughts??

Goose Bandit
06-30-2003, 09:55 PM
dont push him he is only 3 months old, his attention span is real short at that age. you cant expect him to retrieve for an hour or even half an hour at that age he will loose intrest in a big hurry. my pups i have trained at that age i work with them 5 min. each time a couple times a day just having FUN... that goes the same with sitting,down,ect.. good luck with the new pup

Matt

cself02
07-02-2003, 06:07 AM
I was having the same problem with one of my pups, and I basically would go into a halway of my house shut all the doors and sit on my butt and spread my legs so that I could catch him, Get a sock or a little stuffed animal and shake it all around and get pup excited, then throw it a few feet in front of you, when he picks it up whistle and clap your hands and then give praise, then just keep throwing it out further and further, The halway helps keep pup in a strait line so it has to come toward you, if pup still won't pick it up then just keep getting it excited until it does. I have been doing this daily and both pups are bringing back a teal dummy at only 8 weeks old, :Art: Good luck

VTblackfoot
07-02-2003, 06:31 PM
well, he's coming around a bit. I got my "10 minute retriever" book yesterday and it was REALLY helpful. Have him retrieving a wing from a BWT - he seems to like it. It is gonna be slow going since I got him at 13 weeks, but he is showing progress and is wicked birdy - that little bugger searches fro things (Yamamoto Senkos etc.) for quite a long time before he goes on. Will keep y'all updated.

shootem
07-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Ahh Haa !
OK, now we're getting somewhere.

"Water Dog" was a great book in it's day (25-30 years ago), but training has come a long way since then. Kinda like comparing a Model A to a Ferrari.

I'd prefer not to comment on Milner stuff (my mom always taught me that if you couldn't say anything nice then you shouldn't say anything at all )

In no particular order, I'd suggest one (preferably all) of these. As soon as you get on a modern program, put Wolters and Milner on the back of your shelf.

"Smartworks I and II" by Evan Graham
"10 Minute retriever" by John and Amy dahl
"Lardy Articles" by Mike Lardy

Also, if you're not a member of a Hunting Retriever Club, find one in your area and join immediately.

Pete S
07-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Sean,
Everyone is giving you great advice.I have found that if you can learn as many differant traing programs as you can.You will be better off.Each dog has it's own personality.And program A may not be for the dog while program B is.It's like learning to call.Zinks meathod may work for person A while Smith method may work for person B.

Pete S

Widowmaker
07-06-2003, 09:40 PM
What about this?

I have a Golden who is 2 yrs old, and does quite well on pheasants, but I am starting to work on force fetching with him to get him going on ducks and geese. When do you think it is too late to train a dog to FF?

shootem
07-07-2003, 07:28 PM
It is never too late, it may take a little longer but it will be worth the time.

cryan
07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
wolters books are great.. i tell this to people all the time that are training new dogs..
1. make sure the dog knows the abc's....SIT...STAY....COME.. you can not go over this enough.. i would start on those three things will you are waiting for your book.... it seems to me that as you teach dogs the skills they need to hunt, and retrieve that those (sit, stay, come) are the most important tools that must be met before you move on to bigger and better techniques. also this will save a lot of headaches when it comes time to have manners in the blind or whatever you hunt out of...
2. make sure the dog listens to you at all times.... and that he/she knows what NO means!
3. when it is time to teach the dog is ready to learn... some days are better than others.. you may be able to do an hour with your dog one day and the next day only ten minutes... it isn't necessarily the time you spend, but how the time was spent. the book will explain that..
4. make sure the dog is having fun and lots of praise.. and have patience yourself..
good luck