PDA

View Full Version : Wings and feather tips survey

Bones
07-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Was asked last year by the MAN, to keep a record of the ducks and geese I had harvested, then send it in. This year was asked by the MAN, to particpate in sending them wings and tips. I agreed... but has anyone ever done this before?
Is it a pain in the Tdulkie? :BM:
Just curious on what I can expect.
Bones

chcltlabz
07-02-2003, 01:54 PM
I did it last year, and just got my survey back.

They send you all the envelopes to mail it in, and you just clip the wings like they show you, and put it in the mail. At the end of the year, they send you a final report on what birds you harvested, and if they were mature or juveniles.

I guess they have you do it for 3 years at a time if you're willing. I'm doing it again next year. It was pretty interesting to find out the ages of the birds I killed, and what time of year.

For anyone interested, almost all of the early season birds that I sent them were juveniles. It switched about January, and from then on, all but one or two of the birds were adults. Ducks were almost all juvies.

extrapale
07-02-2003, 01:56 PM
I kept the count for two years for them. When they asked if I wanted to send in feathers, I said sure. Then, they never sent the envelopes. Kind of bummed me out. I was looking forward to any info they would have shared with me.

quack addict
07-02-2003, 02:05 PM
I've done the Federal Harvest Report, but never the wings and tips thing. It sounds pretty interesting. By the way, I'm conducting a survey of my own so could you please send me all the breast meat from any waterfowl you harvest this season. Bwahahahaha!:cool:

Bones
07-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Quack Addict,
the best part is for every dozen wings you send in - they give you a case of your favorite ammo for free!
They also said that if you have any buddies who kill any banded birds, have them send the bands to me!:OUCH:
Bones

MagTen
07-02-2003, 02:54 PM
I first participated in this program several years ago. They came back to me in 2000 and I've done it the last two years. I just received my 2002/2003 summary and agreed to do it this season.

They make it easy by providing SASE envelopes.

MagTen

mdgoosehunter
07-02-2003, 04:23 PM
I have done it for the last two years. Just got my survey back also, of the 18 Birds that i did take the time to send in 11 were adult and 7 were juveniles. Gonna do it again this year to, kinda neat knowing that you either tricked and old gander to come in or a young dumb juvie! September is just around the corner fellas!!

VTGUNNER
07-14-2003, 06:36 PM
A few years with Woodcock wings and a couple with duck wings, once you start doing it they will not leave you alone!!!!!!! Its not bad though....