PDA

View Full Version : jumping of docks/boats

huntingmarsh
07-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I've got my dog retreiving alright these days and i've been just messing around with her on different tasks and I've tried to get her to jump off the dock into our pond but she won't do it. She'll sit there an bark and carry on until she finally just runs of the dock onto the land and swims out. Any suggestions on this except for givin her the boot:DB: into the water.

Corey

chcltlabz
07-08-2003, 04:54 AM
How old is the dog? If it is just a pup, then give it time.

Excitement will make a dog do just about anything, and nothing excites a dog more than birds. Try some ducks or even shooting a few flyers on the water. Once the dog gets the initial fear of the jump out of the way, then it will dive right in.

My last opinion on the subject, why do you want the dog to jump off the dock? Those big entries are great for pictures and sure look impressive, but it doesn't get the bird back any better than a dog that slowly enters the water. I have a big jumper that I'm training right now, and I'm trying to break her of it. She's already hurt a shoulder in her acrobatics, and it will only get worse during hunting.

With a slow entry, you don't have to worry about them landing on a stick, or a rock. I would think that by promoting the jumping off the dock, you are starting a trend for these big entries.

cself02
07-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Corey I agree with chcltlabz Chase wont dive in off a dock but she has no problems jumping out of the boat for a retreive, I know it looks cool but your pup can get injured easy jumping that hard all the time. Don't think you will be hunting off any docks this winter will you

:ST: Keep up the good work on the pup sounds like your making some good progress.!!

huntingmarsh
07-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Casey, we'll prolly have to be hunting out of the boat more often if they don't get the walkin dairies planted. And yes I know you don't really need them to dive out into the water but if were out in the boat she'll have to get out some how. And like I said i'm just trying out different things everyother training series.

oh yeah and Marsh is about 6 months an 5 days old now.

Corey

cself02
07-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Yeah I see, Trust me if your in a boat and you down a duck she will find out really quick how to jump out!:BM: good luck, Did you ever go down to that track and practice?

Tim Williams
07-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Cory,
Duffy wouldn't jump off my dock either. Now, this summer she has, at 3 yrs old. Go figure.

Jubilee
07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
I know that I can't get Jub to go off the end of a dock, but she will jump out of a boat no problem, I worried about the whole boat thing, b/c I thought she might be hunting out of a boat sometime, I don't worry much about her needing to jump off of a dock, I don't see that situation coming up much when we are hunting, I don't know why she couldn't just run in from the land.

kirsch
07-29-2003, 10:20 AM
I am by no means a prof dog trainer or do I train dogs to jump off docks regulary. As others have said it looks cool and some dogs love it but isn't a necessity for most hunting situations.

All I can say is my dog is a jumper. She absolutely loves to jump off docks. She is good enough I have been considering putting her in the outdoor games. However, this is not something I really tried to teach her. I tried it once and she seemed to take right to it. She hasn't hurt herself thankfully yet and hopefully never will. However, if you want your dog to do it, this is what I would suggest trying:

1) Find a dock that is really nice. A carpeted type dock is best but try not to use one that has wide gaps in boards etc. since they can hurt their pads or nails when jumping or running on these. Yeah, I know common sense but thought I would say it.

2) Get the dog all reved up for retrieving by playing keep away and then make her sit and stay at the other end of the dock while the dog is all excited.

3) Go to the end of the dock and hold the bumper in the air and give your release command and just before she gets to it, throw it out in the water and watch her go. Once the dog does this the first time, they lose this fear and will typically be begging you to do it again and you will get tired of this game.

FYI: This is a poor video but if you are interested here is a video of my dog, Hersey, jumping off a dock and catching a frisbee. If you can't tell, I am a little proud:

http://myweb.cableone.net/koreyk/download/dock.wmv
http://myweb.cableone.net/koreyk/download/frisbee.wmv

If it asks for a yes or no question when opening the files, I would say no and let it play in it's own window. Hope this helps.