PDA

View Full Version : How do you hide your dog in the field?

kugohuntn
07-15-2003, 12:12 PM
So how do you.

I have a Yellow female lab that is fairly white and will stand out like a sore thumb unless we are using our snow decoys. I was wandering how you hid your partners.

I was thinking of getting one of the dog blinds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gohuntn

chcltlabz
07-15-2003, 12:18 PM
It all depends on how old, and how steady the dog is. If the dog knows the kennel command, and is steady to birds coming in, then I'd go with the dog blinds.

I put my dog in the blind with me without problems, and it gives you some added control over him.

If he's still young and learning, then I'd say get the blind, and start training him with it right away.

huntingmarsh
07-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Strap a goose shell on its back and let her run around, he he:ST: :ST: , NO just kidding. We usually have our dogs laydown right beside us while we're hunting and they don't seem to mind. I just got a yellowish white lab too and I've been wondering what to do. I figured after she got to her full compasity I will buy her a vest so that should hide her alittle.

Corey

cself02
07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
What I did when Chase was on her first goose hunts was took her Dog box out in the field, I had a Como net that just fit it and I draped it over it and shoved corn stalks through the holes, she could still see out the front and once she saw her first goose drop, it didn't take long for her to know why she was out there (that is probably the roughest thing) This year I was going to buy a hide a pouch but I can't see spending 70 + on something like that so I am going to make one, was thinking of makink a mess door on ther front for this new pup with a string attached that way I can release her with it, it will have a spring loaded door basically,

i have tried to put my lab in my finisher with me just playing around in the yard and that is a tight fit let me tell you, Guess she needs to go on a diet:BM:

Tim Williams
07-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Kelly,

OD green spray paint will do the job. After 5 or 6 months it should grow out. I hide Duffy in the ZInk dog blind, but she is a small lab - 75#.

chcltlabz
07-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Small Lab at 75#? WOW, my female must be considered a toy-labrador at 55#.:TT:

Tim Williams
07-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Chctlabz,

Man, I thought 70# was small! How does she handle geese? At times, Duffy really struggles.

YellowLab
07-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Kelly-

I have a FA Hide-a-pooch. I love it.:Art:

chcltlabz
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Neither of my dogs are even close to 70#, even my male is only 65, and he's retrieved tons of geese. The only time he's ever struggled was on a true giant in Manitoba that sailed about 200 yards.

The female isn't full bore into goose hunting yet, but what she has done is less of a size struggle and more of a grip struggle.

cself02
07-17-2003, 12:30 PM
chcltlabz

how does your lab lay in the blind with you, beside you or in-between your legs? just curious,

MLBob
07-19-2003, 08:19 PM
If your dog is steady and knows "stay," the dog blinds are the ticket.
MLBob

Goose Bandit
07-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I hide my yellow lab in my legacy she lays by my side or right behind the backrest usually where she wants to at the time. tell you what it is sure nice when it gets late in the season when its colder then hell in the mornings with a juiced up lab knowing shes gonna get some honks it stays NICE and WARM in there.

BEAR CALLER
07-20-2003, 05:46 AM
kugohuntn,
I hunt large corn fields and wheat fields here in Canada. I have a chocolate male but have hunted with a couple of guys with yellows and blacks. We have just made the dogs sit/lay down beside our blinds and have had no real problems with them flaring geese. As long as the dog is steady with the birds I don't think you should have any trouble with her. I have hunted with my male for 6 years like this and have had no real problems with this method.

primitive
07-21-2003, 01:28 AM
I have an almost pure white yellow, and I have the same problem. I put him between my legs in the FA, but found the gun was going off very close to his ears. I am going to try brushing up his kennel and going that route. He is very steady and collar trained so he will wait for the command. My other pup (black), who is 9 months old I have NO clue what to do with him! He is going to be a partial observer of his kennel mate for this year. Good hunting.

Joshua Folkerts
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
My lab is 8 1/2 months old and he is 90lbs and i want to know if a zink is going to be to small for him. any options.

joshua

phoneman
07-21-2003, 07:10 PM
hey guys,
I have a dead-grass chessie who kinda has a natural camouflage, so i don't really need to hide him, but this post got me thinking. What would you think of taking a siper-mag shell, or an old goose chair(just the shell part) and putting a stand underneath the sides that would give the dog enough room to get underneath. I think that would be the ultimate hiding spot.
Phoneman

Jubilee
07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
My buddy and I trained our dogs to lay beside us, then we throw a super mag shell over them. They don't move, then when the shots are fired, they come a blazin out of the shells.

huskerhonker
07-23-2003, 09:36 PM
My Chocolate is 96 #'s and fits the avery dog blind real good. When he kennels, he can even turn around inside easily.

cself02
07-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Phoneman

I have always though of making something like that so she could still see good, I kind of did somthitn like that this year, We had a field that the geese came strait off the lake and in, never would make a pass, if they did they probably weren't coming in. But anyway, I had a little portable blind and I took the stakes and put them beside me and set a supermag over the top of them so it was elivated, and she laid behind it, couldn't get her to hide under, but the geese never seen her and since she is black she probably just looks like a nother honker.

I am in the process of making a dog blind though with a spring mess door so I can take my new pup along too an she wont bust.

happy hunting!!

shootem
07-24-2003, 07:58 AM
I use a hide a mutt from final approach.hehe Works great. I set it right beside my blind with the front even with body when I sit up to shoot.

Carl Eckhold
07-28-2003, 05:51 AM
There are several ways to do it. I also have a yellow lab and a couple of tricks I have done are putting the lab right in your blind with you, get the dog its own blind like a final approach hide a pooch, or get the dog a darker vest and hope that is enough. I have tried the vest idea and putting the dog in the blind idea but it would be a lot easyer to just get a dog blind and train your dog to use the blind well. I will give you and your dog a lot more plesant hunt.

ALL OUT OR NOTHEN :BM:

honker slayer
08-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Goose bandit has the right idea. If your blinds big enough just stick him in there with you.:Rich:

Woods and Water
08-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I have a 95 pound yellow male lab and he hides in my pro guide usually on my left side(and kinda behind the back rest.My BLF is only 75 opunds so she lays undwer my left arm all the time....when Im hunting out of a pit I will just let them jump on in....

Lil C
08-08-2003, 10:19 AM
I have a black and am thinking about putting a white bandana around his neck to look like a cheek patch and just let him wander... Just thinking... ;-)

Lil C

Cut-um
08-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by chcltlabz
Small Lab at 75#? WOW, my female must be considered a toy-labrador at 55#.:TT:

Hell my little bumble bee is only 46 lbs but she's bad to the bone to say the least...:hest: :Art: :hest:

VTblackfoot
08-18-2003, 04:55 PM
46 pounds, Rich:OM: - what is it a Corgie :OUCH: :JW: man - my Diesel (BLM) is just 5 months and weighs 37 lbs. Wont be long 'afore he is bigger than the "B" - probably, like, next week:BZ: :BZ: