PDA

View Full Version : masada labs cadens kennels, and snow labs?

phoneman
07-20-2003, 03:34 PM
hey guys,
You are the experts here, so i need some info. My uncle is buying a lab in october from a breeder in wi near duluth, mn called masada labradors. Has anyone ever heard of them, if so, how is the quality. He is getting a "snow-lab" another thing I have never heard of, so any info on that would be appreciated as well. He plans to have the dog trained at "Cadens kennels" which i have heard of, but th things i have heard of, were not very encouraging. Any info you have would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Richied
aka phoneman
mikerichied@sbcglobal.net
pms do not work, e-mail me THANKS!!!!

huntingmarsh
07-20-2003, 09:18 PM
They call em snow labs but there just yellow labs that have a light coat. Just figured I'd tell ya, I always got chit about callin em snow labs or "white labs". But sorry dunno about anythin on that kennel.

Corey

phoneman
07-21-2003, 05:30 AM
hey cory,
thanks man, i appreciate any help i can get, I have always had chessies and goldens so labs are new to me.
Thanks,
Phoneman

Bart
07-21-2003, 03:02 PM
I personally would shy away from a breeder who breeds for a specific color, especially a specific shade of color. When breeding for a specific shade of color you are more than likely going to lose some of the desireable hunting and behavior traits. That is exactly how Americans have ruined the Labrador Retriever. As for the breeder and the trainer, I haven't heard of either. I would ask for several references from both and verify them. Look at the personal dogs, how they do, ect. Check the pedigree for OFA certifications, talk to the references about hips, eyes, elbows, overall health - ask them where they learned of the breeder and keep checking.

Woods and Water
07-21-2003, 05:19 PM
ASk the kennel for a list of references and start calling around to see if they are a good source of labradors.Look at the last 5 year OFA certifications on the parents lines to assure healthy hips..does he have eye certifications and look at the pedigrees.

Im sure youve done all of this but I would use these for sure before buying a lab.JMO

gvells
08-02-2003, 06:09 AM
I would agree with Bart about breeders who breed for color. I also think that breeding for pointing characteristics is a bit flakey. I had a lab that pointed very nicely and it was fun but I sure would not breed on that basis. I have a yellow pup. I told the breeder I wanted one of the bigger males. He picked me a very light dog. The only drawback to a light dog is they do not blend in to the vegitation as well as the darker yellows. Americans breeders have not ruined the Labrador Retriever. They are smarter , faster, mark better, and can take signals better than any time in history. The AKC field trials are proof. The dogs got so good and smart that the tests got rediculous in order to pick a winner. You need to start with good stock but most of it is in the training.

huntingmarsh
08-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Yeah I would have to say that I was going for a whitish yellow lab pup and was so into just finding a kennel that had them that I totally forgot about any hunting skills or anything in its parents blood but i've had Marsh for 5 months now and she has a great sense of smell and should be a great hunting dog. But after a year or so I'm going to have to get a "vest" for her so she can blend in with the woods and such. I think any lab could be a great hunting dog no matter its blood line just depends on the trainer.

Corey

Goose Bandit
08-03-2003, 09:44 PM
I agree with BART and WOODS AND WATER 100%

yallerlab
08-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Bart and W&W are correct. Anyone who has to try
to sell their dogs on the basis of a novelty color
are not what you're looking for. Any breeder worth
a damn wouldn't LET you forget about pedigree
and performance. He'd be proud as all get-out
of his lines and their acheivements and would want
you to know about them. "Snow" is not a color described in
the breed standards, so why would a responsible breeder
select for that?
I think you've already answered your own question when you said what you had heard about the trainer wasn't flattering.
Run away, buddy...I can hear those poor little dysplastic
joints creaking all the way down here.

GOOSKI
09-10-2003, 03:02 PM
I had my second Lab trained at Cadens Kennels. I would not recommend them to anyone. They had my dog for 7 mos. And it was hard for them to give you the time of day. Not like a guy was expecting them to bend over backwards, but there is such a thing a common curitsy. There is a trainer that I would recommend to your and that is Brian Hartfield of Webshire Kennels in Larson WI. He is a good guy.