PDA

View Full Version : The real thing...

Trigger
07-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Guys..

I have downloaded just about every decoy picture that has been loaded on Flocknockers. Then I realized something. There decoys. and decoys look always like a decoy. I'm in the process of painting a doz Higdon's.. I'm now about ready to send them back to Higdon to have them repainted.. Frustrated.. very Frustrated.

Heck..Might just paint them all white and call them snows..

Does anyone have a digital picture of a Canada in Fall colours that they can post up.. Close up' s would be better.. I tried to get a picture the last three days, but the dang birds recognized me from last fall... kept their distance.

Trigger

FANATIC
07-21-2003, 09:25 PM
This is all I have.... I must say, I agree with a real goose pic rather than a deke.... I do say though, Dave Smith's dekes colours are dead on awesome(IMO)

twells
07-21-2003, 09:49 PM
that's a pretty good one. it should help alot. i am looking for some real close up so we can see what kinda detail a real goose has.

thanks

FANATIC
07-21-2003, 09:58 PM
another boys...

FANATIC
07-21-2003, 10:00 PM
I will head down to the golf course this week and try to snap a couple super close ups of different angles...:cool:

Maxima
07-21-2003, 10:55 PM
You might try looking at DU magazines for some referance photos, or getting some books from a taxidermy supply company. Your local book store or library might have something also. The best would be if you could borrow a friends taxidermy mount or stuffer for some hands on 3-D referance on colors and feather detail. Hope this helps a little.

goosemasterjk
07-22-2003, 06:26 AM
scanned these out of a book I have hope this helps.

goosemasterjk
07-22-2003, 06:38 AM
heres the other one

Woods and Water
07-22-2003, 07:46 AM
Man this is why I love this site look at all the help a guy can get here.....THe Flocknocker Family is Killer!!!!!!!!:Art:

Trigger
07-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Guys Thanks for the help on this one.. Just trying to get it right.
I should be getting close to that magic number..what was it again.. Oh ya.. 32 layers of paint.

Dang decoy is about a quarter inch thicker then it was...

Flipper..I know..Shade.. Shade.. Shade... Don't paint.. Shade.

You know you have me saying that to myself as I'm Pain.. I'm Shading my decoys...

Bwhahaha

Trigger

Dave Smith
07-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Guys, don't analyze this to death!!!!!!! everything you need is in the FIRST PHOTOGRAPH. You guys are acting like taxidermists that judge each other's work with a magnifying glass, but no one ever steps back to see if the thing even looks like a critter! hehe 32 layers of paint on a bird that has about two layers is going to look so washed-out that you won't be able to see any detail!!!!!! Dave

Trigger
07-22-2003, 05:00 PM
You are right. I have sat down with this decoy to many times, I'm about to take a Dremel tool to it ti give it some feathers.. :CL:
Truthfully, I painted the feather outline, but went to wide, Them covered it with some brown. looked to red. added some back to the brown to dark, Shaded it with tan..

Basically chasing the rabbit. . . Today after stepping back from the decoy, and looking at the painting area, realised I have been working from seven different looking pictures of different decoys. That's why I want a real goose picture.. and Yes,, the first one is printed, and on the wall.

Saw three flying past today, and wondered how the one would look frozen sitting on the work bench. bwhaaha..

Thanks again guys for the help

Trigger