PDA

View Full Version : Carry-lite full body decoy question

kirsch
07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Before I owned a trailer I purchased some of the carrylite fullbody decoys as they don't take up as much room as most full body decoys.

I really do like their paint scheme and feather detail. For the most part I have switched to other full-bodies since but I still like these decoys. The problem that I have is since they first came out of the box, they had some dents because of the soft nature of their plastic and if I press out one side of the dent another forms somewhere else. Anybody else experience this. If they wouldn't have been scrunched down in the box originally, I don't think it would be bad. I have a few that look great and the rest look funny at certain angles because it looks like they got a chunck ripped out of them by a coyote. Any recommendations to get them into a nice formed shape (ie: stuff them, heat them, etc.) Thanks.

twells
07-29-2003, 02:42 PM
next time it's super hot outside, set your decoys up in the back yard. the heat after a couple hours should help form them back. i did that with my carrylite turkey decoys and it worked pretty good.

good luck

thomas

Jossie
07-29-2003, 06:15 PM
I have also heard that if you take a blow dryer to them that will help get some of the dents out......good luck!

Woods and Water
07-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Lets us know what worked best........Thanks

kirsch
07-30-2003, 08:20 AM
I am going to try some of these things tonight. I called Pradco (Carry-lite) and they recommended the hair dryer thing too. I am surprised more people don't use the carry-lite full body as I really like the way they look. The stake that goes through them is kind of a pain in the butt especially if the ground is frozen but otherwise they look great and the paint is really flat.

kirsch
07-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Took the hair dryer to the carry-lites. I am very surpised that after being dented for more than 1 year, the dents came out pretty good. Had to get them good and hot and press them a little but I would say 90% of the dents came out. I think if a person stuffed them full of towels on the inside to keep their shape and did this and let them set you might get 100% of the dents out. For now they are good enough to mix in with my other full bodies and I don't think I can blame them if geese spook as they look pretty dang good. Thanks for the suggestions.

Southern Boy
07-31-2003, 02:00 PM
I've have almost 2 dozen carry-lites that I mix in with BF's and Higdon's. I personally like them. They add some different poses, got a nice little stubby neck and as you said the rods can be a pain but overall they work well for me.

Woods and Water
07-31-2003, 02:09 PM
I have a friend who owns like 10 dozen of these dekes...only uses them when the wind is gailing(he uses a rebar stake and pounds them into the ground)....if he could get the dents out maybe we could use them more often....Thanks

kirsch
07-31-2003, 06:56 PM
The hair dryer sure worked well for me but 10 dozen could take awhile. They are holding their shape for now. As long as they aren't pressed back into weird shapes during transport but instead put in trailers like a bigfoot, I think they will be fine.

Maxima
08-01-2003, 06:56 AM
You might try flaming them with a weedburner. The heat will stiffen the plastic a little bit and should keep some of the dents out. Just make sure you don't get to close with the flame and hold it in one spot, or you will melt your decoys.

Woods and Water
08-01-2003, 07:38 AM
haha yeah you could go from dents to melted real quick.....I told him about this thread and he is going to work on his...if it doesnt work hell be selling them.Thanks for the feedback!!!