PDA

View Full Version : ? about airbrushing other dekes? (not bigfoots)

twells
07-30-2003, 09:49 AM
ok, i like the bigfoot airbrushing idea, but i was wondering what it would look like to apply that same realizm and detail to my floaters that i have?? i have 3 doz g&h floaters, and would like to paint them up with the airbrush. the thing that concerns me is that the g&h floaters are more of a greyish color than the bigfoots. so i didn't think that i should use the same exact paint for the floaters as i did on the foots. i want to find what paint to use? should i have the paint matched off of the brest of the floaters and use that to paint in detail?? or should i use the tan that i used on the bigfoots?? if any of youall have any ideas as to what i should do, please post or pm me. thanks alot

thomas

Flipper
07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
I would not try to match decoy's, I would try to match live geese in the area where you are hunting. IMHO, you need to always study photo's of live geese when painting instead of going by what is in your head. I have been guilty of thinking I know what something looks like in nature, only to find out I was way off. :Rich:

twells
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
ok, i agree.

but what i am saying is, the g&h decoys are greyish in color and not brown like the bigfoot floaters. i want to airbrush my g&h floaters, but i don't think i should use the paint that i am using on bigfoots (because of the color difference) i understand that real geese are a certain shade between light gray and light brown, but i don't really want to repaint all of my floaters, i just want to airbrush detail on them to give them a more liflike appearance. so, should i use the sahara tan from the bigfoots and the chocolate brown, or should i look for something that is more grey in color. i just don't think that the brown (especially the chocolate) would go well with the grey on the g&h floaters.

thanks flipper!!

Flipper
07-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Try adding a LITTLE black to the tan and the brown and shading a little and see what you think. I would try the colors the way they are because you will get a different look just because they are going over a different base color. Since you are adding to the base with your detail work I think you will find they will look great. Just use a little and see what you think. You can add more but it's a bitch if you hose on to much. You can use the chocolate brown from about a foot or more away lightly to give your decoy that reddish hue on the back and starting down the sides. The key is tinting or shading your base without doing a cover-up or a total repaint. Go to the live goose photo's and lookat each color you want and try and figure how to get close to the real thing. :Rich:

Eric VA
07-31-2003, 04:24 AM
Here is a pic that I took the last day of the season w/ decoy painting in mind. I think it gives you a good idea of how to shade the feather detail.

Hopefully, one of these days I will get through my honey do list and start painting.

Flipper
07-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Nice pick, thanks!:Rich: