PDA

View Full Version : all airbrush guys in here, or anyone that has ever used one!!

twells
08-05-2003, 10:25 AM
ok, i bought a piece of crap airbrush that paints just fine, when it works. i have a big problem with the brush just not working, especially when i am trying to change paint. it's like, when i finally get the dang thing working, i have to do the whole decoy with the trigger pushed down, cause if i let up and then try to start right back up, it doesn't always spray pain again. it's like the paint is clogging something inside the brush and that i why none will come out. i have taken the brush all the way apart and cleaned it the best i could and it will work for like 10 min. then it get clogged again. i am using water based taxidermy.com paint, and i am even thinning it more. the consistancy of the paint is like water and i don't know what else i can do to make this thing more reliable!!!

i could paint a lot better, and with a lot less stress if this dang brush would work!

please give me some ideas/options as to what i can do. i am not using a moisture trap (unless there is one on the gun that i don't know about). thanks

thomas

deadduck10
08-05-2003, 02:02 PM
All you need to do is 3 things:

1. find a good sturdy flat surface

2. Lay your airbrush on the flat surface

3. 5 or 6 depending on anger level good swings with a 10lb sledge that should cure it:CL: :JW:

twells
08-05-2003, 02:18 PM
thought about it, but i don't have the money to buy a newer, more expensive airbrush

twells
08-05-2003, 02:47 PM
i'll give that a shot. so you think that's why the brush will still shoot air, but the paint just won't come out?? does it matter what oil i use?? i'll just take the whole thing apart and oil everything up and give it a shot!

thanks

Flipper
08-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Ever seen water based paint stick to oil? It doesn't, stay away from oil!!!! The best bet is the Media (Iwata) lube that is a couple bucks a bottle that will not affect any kind of paint. You might try some vasaline, not a lot. What are you using to thin your paint? You should be using rubbing alcohol, not water. It will work as a retarder also to keep the paint from drying on the tip. How much air pressure are you running, if your compressor won't go up to about 40 psi you will have problems with clogging. Didn't you buy an airbrush and compressor combo? Is it the little tankless kind that comes on by demand and gives you about 15 to 21 psi if you are lucky? If you don't have a moisture trap with the humidity in the summer you will have problems. What kind of equipment are you using? The taper on the Iwata needle and seat is greater than most so they can spray a little thicker paint than most. I need more info to help. :Rich:

twells
08-05-2003, 04:34 PM
flipper,

i am using this compressor

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1055.html

and this airbrush

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,26.html

i am not using alcohol to thin the paint. should i be?? can i just use normal rubbing alcohol?? i don't have a moisture trap, but i am painting in my basement and i don't think the humidity is that bad is it?? also, on the oil, i will be sure not to use oil, i will try a little vasoline and then thin the paint with alcohol. i think that might be the problem because it works fine and then something happens and the brush will still shoot air, just no paint comes out?? i am using a regulator on my compressor and shooting around 43psi. it will go up to 100+ but i didn't think that was necessary. any help is appreciated as right now this isn't very enjoyable right now, with all the hassles i am haveing with the paint not coming out!!

thanks

thomas

Woods and Water
08-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Flipper to the rescue!!!!!!:Rich:

twells
08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Woods and Water
Flipper to the rescue!!!!!!:Rich:

exactly!! i almost made a big mistake oiling my airbrush up!!

thanks flip

Flipper
08-05-2003, 08:25 PM
With that much air pressure you should be ok. The rubbing alcohol is a must, it thins the paint and works as a retarder to stop the paint from drying in the airbrush. Some colors need more than others. White is real bad about drying and the sahara tan can give you fits. I have a squirt bottle with the alcohol in it and add it to the color cup as needed. :Rich:
Oh, looks like a nice compressor and you can always get a better airbrush down the road.

Flipper
08-06-2003, 06:10 AM
One more thing, if you get an airbrush that is real dirty you should have some lacquer thinner on hand to spray through it to get it real clean. I always do this when I am done painting also. :Rich:

Woods and Water
08-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Hey flipper you seem to always have a good ansewer to the tough questions...Thanks!!!Youve helped me alot just be reading your responces to others.........:Rich:

Flipper
08-06-2003, 09:35 AM
It comes from years of making a mess and buying and trying about everything.:Rich:

DrBob
08-06-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm using an iwata revolution with a husky 4 gall pancake compressor. no dryer. using behr flat exterior latex and custom mixing it. thinning with denatured alcohol. have a second bottle with alc/water to blast through. some colors worse than others but really haven't had too much trouble. using superlube. most all of this info i've gathered from these posts and been working aok......

Jossie
08-06-2003, 09:55 PM
I would have to agree with Woods and water, Flipper has done a heck of alot to help alot of people in here....including me....."Thanks Flipper" it is appreciated!!.

By the way....how are your ducks doing?....they still around?

Flipper
08-07-2003, 06:57 AM
Jossie, the ducks left the 4th of July when we got 11 inches of rain and flooded all the fields around me. I would see them fly over but they didn't come back until last week when things were drying up. They are still spending the nights on my neighbors wet hole in his field but are hanging out at my house eating all day. Boy were they spooky after being gone for 3 weeks. They have picked up some friends, the 20 were 36 one morning when they showed up. From what I can tell my 20 are still the main body hanging out eating in their old pen. They have tamed back down a bit again.:Rich: