PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female

honker slayer
08-05-2003, 02:45 PM
I've been wanting to buy a dog for the kids that I can hunt with to. Which is easier to train a male or female? Looking to get a lab.:Rich:

Call'em N
08-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I can only speak from my experience of owning one of each. Both were/are Yellow's. My male was fairly easy to train and excellent around kids. My female seems to pick up on theings much quicker. She is only 8 months old but is doing theings my male didn't start understanding until he was 3-4 years old. I personally love owning a Female and wouldn't change a theing about her even if I could. She is the best canine companion I could hope for. I however also can't wait until she old enogh to have a litter so I can keep a Male for myself.

Woods and Water
08-06-2003, 02:37 PM
I have owned both and own one of each now......I love the size of my male and how hard he hunts no matter weather conditions(he is all business when it comes to birds)!!
He is uncut ( a breeder)and he has his rough times but we have overcome them and he is my best bud(if your not going to breed get them fixed)JMO

My female has a almost perfect pedigree she is super steady to shoot and took about half the time to train.Runs a super straight line and is just here to please me and my family.She has manners in the house and in the field,she is just the best to be around.....so with all this said I would say that most females are easier to train and handle.But you cant go wrong either way IMO

honker slayer
08-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys:BM:

Woods and Water
08-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Your welcome!!!!!:Rich:

DOGDOC
08-15-2003, 10:59 AM
I would have to agree with what most guys are saying. I see lots of working dogs, male and female, and i have hunted over both. I always feel that while the males tend to be stronger (my bitch went 95 pounds) the females often make nicer house guests! and learn quick.
Good luck with what ever you decide
Dan