PDA

View Full Version : how long should it take?

phoneman
08-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I have had my 3 year old chessie at training for almost 5 months now, and he is still not done. When i dropped him off he was a mess, would not retrieve to hand, and was scared to death of guns. Since then, he has gotten over the gunshyness and the trainer is force-breaking him. I am new to hunting with a dog, how long should this take? I am worried he is not going to remember me. Any help would be appreciated.
Phoneman
p.s. he is being trained by a very reputable trainer who came with many references and alot of pro-recommendations.

shootem
08-13-2003, 08:52 PM
If he was the mess as you explained I would say a minimum of 6 months with the pro. How did you end up with a 3 year old dog with all those problems and why not give the dog away as a pet and start with a well bred puppy or started dog with out all the excess baggage. Dogs are like women they never forget unless they want to!!!!! Now you can start too worry about some thing else.:hest:

phoneman
08-14-2003, 02:59 PM
I stuck with him because he is a very well-bred dog, i just didn't make the right decisions when it came to training him. He is an awesome house dog and was a real good hunter, so this is a last chance for him as far as hunting goes, i talked to the trainer last night, he said it is moving along, but slowly, he said i will get to hunt him this season though.
Phoneman

JK
08-17-2003, 07:58 AM
i know all too well what you are going through based on experience. i too am a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (CBR) lover. i am on my third one. not to be condescending, but Chesapeakes are wired very differently than labs so time framing training progress is a little unfair to you and the dog. i have sent CBR's to reputable trainers with horrific results culminating in trainers calling me telling me to come get my dog. in fact, my 9 month old CBR male (Coppertone Kid Tanner) is the biggest nightmare my trainer had ever faced. he wouldnt respond to anything from obedience to field work...nothing. it was like breaking a wild mustang for my trainer. finally he called me and said, "come get your pup. i think we are wasting your money." after six weeks of professional training he showed zero signs of progress. well, i went out to the facility to talk this over with the trainer. agreeably we decided to send the dog home with me. we let Tanner out of the kennel and i decided to see if he would react to my commands. as i said, "here!", Tanner comes to my side and sits as ordered. i grabbed a dummy and went through some yard work drills they had been trying to teach Tanner. he performed as if he had learned everything. the trainer was dumbfounded -absolutely flabbergasted! at this point, i realized what was going on. Tanner's stereotypical characteristics as a CBR were as vivid as ever. he is a one man dog. i am his ****** and he wasnt going to let anyone else tell him what to do. i went home and sought advice from several CBR specialized pro's. they all said to be patient and hang in there. i took their advice. it has been two months since i brought Tanner home. the results are incredible. Tanner is handling very well...running as hard as he can. we are just finalizing walking fetch and about to begin forcing to pile. be patient...you have two choices:1) ba patient and keep writing those checks to your trainer...this could get expensive! 2) go get your dog and dedicate 1 hour each day to train him yourself. if you opt for decision #2....invest in mike lardy's total retreiver training videos, get brian szczech's gold palted gun dog's video for CBR specified reference, get a dummy launcher, a long check cord, whistle etc...and get with it. there is nothing quick about training a retriever so assume lots of patience. oh yeah, go to www.workingretriever.com and www.retrievertraining.com and sign up. these are the best forums in the retriever world. many of the best trainers in the country browse these sites to answer questions and assist in training. john and amy dahl's book The Ten Minute Retriever is awesome. they have years of experience with CBR's so many of their techniques are geared towards this breed. as tough as Chesapeakes are on the outside, they can be very soft on the inside. i know mine are! good luck to you my friend and i hope i havent bended your ear with too much rhetoric.

Jake

grey gander
08-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Phoneman,

I agree with JK. I have owned Chessies for years, and it's not that they are hard to train, it's that you have to train them different. They are SLOW to mature, so don't base their training on that of other retrievers. They are definately "one man dogs" and don't take to a trainer once they have bonded to another person. I agree with JK on the training videos, but if it were me I would get the dog from the trainer and do it myself, just be patient. Work with him as much as you can and remember once you get him to do what you want, he will run through the gates of Hell and take a bird from the hands of the devil for you!

phoneman
08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. i spoke with my trainer last friday and he said things are starting to look real bright, so i have decided to stick it out with the trainer and keep cutting those checks. I work for the phone company and during the summer 20 hour days are very common, so i have no time to train, or the knowledge or the patience, so the trainer will have to get it done. He said he has no doubt that it will get done, but it's going to take time. Thanks again for all the help.
phoneman

Pete S
08-20-2003, 01:40 PM
shootem that is one hell of a good thing to remember." Dogs are like women.They don't forget unless they want to".:LOL: :LOL: That is sooooo true.
Pete S

phoneman
09-01-2003, 08:28 PM
well,
thanks again for all the help, i spoke with the trainer this evening and he said my pup won't be ready till novembr 1st, which sucks cause i have a trip coming up on the 25th of october, oh well, it's gotta get done. The trainer said he had to deal with alot of sensitivity in Miles, that's why it was going so slow. Can't wait to get him back, let me know what you guys think of this, and again, thanks for all the help.
Phoneman

JK
09-08-2003, 07:28 AM
hows your dog doing?

jake

phoneman
09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
talked with the trainer again recently and he said the same thing as last time. It's going slow, but it's going well and it gets better everyday. Still hoping to get him back earlier than the trainer said, but he's the expert so I gotta trust him on when is the right time. Thanks for the concern and thanks to everyone in this forum for all the help in a tough situation.
Phoneman

GOOSKI
09-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Just curious, who are you having train him?

phoneman
09-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Bill Cox at www.labradorsunlimited.com he came very highly recommended from over 15 hunters whose dogs I have hunted with and loved the way they hunted.
Phoneman