PDA

View Full Version : 8 geese per day: good or bad?

Goose Reaper
08-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Bad in my mind, but just wanted to throw out the poll and see what the numbers say. Here in VA, VDGIF didn't go with 8 during September, which I was happy about, but for you guys in New England, New York, New Jersey, etc, what do you have to say?

Goose Reaper

DUCKDIGGLER
08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
I'll agree! It sucks. It seems like agood way to end the Sept. season for good. It will bring all the idiots out of the woodwork and may cause issues amongst non-hunters and hunters in recreation areas during Sept. Th eflocks we can get at are the ones whose #s are in check its the "park" birds that we can't gain access to that are the problem and raising the limit will NOT help control those geese. I don't know what they were thinking! What am I missing here? Our state waterfowl biologist was against it at the meeting then I get a letter that we are going with the 8 bird limit statewide! I wonder if it was pressure from USF&W? Any thoughts on this?

Sandy
08-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Man, it is tough for me to carry 5 out of the field - much less 8!!! An 8 bird limit would have everybody and their brother out there.

GR - pm me your phone number.

V BOARD
08-22-2003, 07:42 AM
I agree with DD it's going to cause just more problems with the anti's,we have enough problems already.The birds that are really causing the problems here we cannot get at any how.I think they should split the regular season from the special goose season and open it state wide during the special season in january so we can whack'em!Just my opinion..

DUCKDIGGLER
08-22-2003, 08:17 AM
V, I have been pushing for a statewide Late season for the last 8 years. They say we have too many migrants mixed in with our resident geese north of 95 to open a statewide late season. It just dosen't sit well with me. After all Mass. has an inland late season, can't tell me those birds are any different than the ones down here. Also Md. has a inland late season and the last time I checked thats were ALL the migrants go and winter! Go figure but hell what do I know? Just venting a little. To me it sound slike lack of research funds is the only reason we don't have the season here. And that sucks! Oh well enough bitchin!:Rich:

Pete S
08-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I'm whith you boys on this one.The 8 bird a day season will bring out all the wannabes:ST: And Todd your right on about the late season here in my part of MA.We do not have a huge resident population outside of the city parks. Thats were they are all sitting during the spring,summer and Fall until freeze up.Then they either head to the CT coast or farther south.And when they do hang around if conditions are right.They mix in whith the Migrants.And we can kill 5 a day during January..Just my .02$
Pete S

honker slayer
08-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Not a good idea in my mind.:ST:

Gundog
08-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Last I heard we can only take 5 in MA. The MA late coastal season this year is open from the Cape Cod canal north to the border. A veteran waterfowler I work with wrote a letter to F&W Dept. re: the reasons for the old zone that cut off the area just north of the cape. He got back some pretty interesting info. from tagging data that shows that almost no geese in the s.shore MA area are migrators. All residents. They presented this info. to the feds and got permission to expand the zone. Geese from the cape south were migrators. Too bad for you RI & Conn. boys. I'll try to get the letter and post up some of it. Pretty interesting reading that shows that these guys really use field data to set the seasons.