PDA

View Full Version : Puppy in water

GIG
08-23-2003, 05:30 PM
My Lab pup is about 12 weeks old. He seems to be more interested in sniffing around the sand on the beach rather than playing in the water. I was wondering if this is a fairly common thing? Any remarks would be appreciated. Thanks, GIG

VTblackfoot
08-23-2003, 07:01 PM
my pup wasn't eager to swim until just about 4 months. He would go in occasionally, if I helped him in, but was more interested in sniffing around. Don't worry about it. Let him be a puppy. 12 weeks is young. just work on land singles and obedience. I picked up the book "the 10 minute retriever." it is priceless and a great refrence. Good luck and don't get frustrated.

GIG
08-23-2003, 07:45 PM
That's a little bit of relief. I thought I might have a lab who doesn't like the water. I picked up the same book and I am working on basic obedience. He is doing pretty good so far. Thanks for the reply.

JK
08-24-2003, 01:26 AM
be really patient. most things we get concerned about are things that will fall into place in a short time. its a matter of doing what you think is best consistently and time will reward you. issues like water and guns are issues that are misperceived then acted upon too quickly. acting too quickly out of worry will only make things worse. take your time, take a deep breathe, and follow the ten minute retriever. you will soon have a hunting partner forever. dont worry!!

jake

duckpoor
08-25-2003, 06:36 AM
If you haven't : might try introducing another water loving dog in the Mix.
My older dogs always have made training so simple for the Pup and me.
Kinda the, if he can do it "I" can do it.

R Green

Call'em N
08-26-2003, 12:55 AM
GIG,
Let me add to what every one else is saying. When my pup was 12 weeks she wouldn't go in the water or near it for that matter. She is now 10 months and if theres a mud puddle that we walk by, she's in it.
When she was about 4-4 1/2 months old it was like something snaped and I had a completly different dog. When she wouldn't get in the water I had the same concern as you. The trainer that we work with told me this "She's a Lab. She was breed to be a water dog. Just give her time and you won't be able to keep her out of the water."

kodiakhunter
08-28-2003, 08:18 AM
My 9 month old pup just started to swim and fetch in the water so give it time, now all he wants to do is fetch in the water.

GIG
08-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Take one step at a time, and everything will come together. Besides you only get out of a dog what you put into one. GIG

cself02
08-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by duckpoor
If you haven't : might try introducing another water loving dog in the Mix.
My older dogs always have made training so simple for the Pup and me.
Kinda the, if he can do it "I" can do it.

R Green

I totally agree with this, I have always got pups to start swiming at a very young age buy this method, I would get them excited about the dummy and then toss it out a short distance (few feet from the bank if they wouldn't get it I would send my older dog, 9 times out of 10 the pup will get jealous and go for the older one and tugg on the dummy then just keep going out farther and farther, plus if they don't get it you always have your older one to retrieve it so you don't loose your dummy.

But as they all said, give it time labs love water.:Art:

CAMMO
08-29-2003, 10:18 AM
I always put the pup on the shore and go swimming or wadding my self. After a few minutes they can't stand it any more and here they come. Don't go out very far or come towards the pup as they swim out. You don't want them to get tired or scared. Once they get there play with them and help support them. Make it fun. Not to long you don't want them to get bored with it. Do this a couple of times until they get their confidence. After that you won't be able to kept them out of it. I am not a pro trainer but this has always worked for me.