PDA

View Full Version : OK, how are U getting your dawg ready?

RAY_PA
08-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Well, season's creaping (no pun intended, hehe) up on us. What are you all doing to get your trusty retriever ready for season?

For those of you who havent dropped off on the training since last season, what have you been doing?

Thanks, Ray

Come one guys, lets get this Forum rolling. Ya know every real goose hunter has a dawg in the feild.! :Rich:

shootem
08-28-2003, 03:56 PM
We usually train 3 to 5 days a week weather permitting. This time of year we switch from hunt test training mode to more hunting training. Usually January February and March we all stay in the house.hehe The big switch is to closer marks shooting right on line Working on steadiness and multiple birds shot and a lot of work through decoys.

chcltlabz
08-29-2003, 05:59 AM
I try and work longer training sessions, and long walks into this part of the year to build up stamina, and to help harden the pads on my dogs feet. We took a trip to Canada a few years ago that really tested my dogs stamina, and the wheat stubble ate his feet up.

Water training is another good way to build up stamina.

I stretch the blinds out longer this time of year also, for those goose sailers.

This year, I'm working more with the hide a pooch to make sure the dog is rock solid when the birds are working. I'm thinking of trying some dove and pigeon shoots out of the blinds to work in live flyers to the blind work.

Yellardawg
08-29-2003, 03:53 PM
I train the same year round...just get up earlier to do it in this heat.

Nevada Jim
08-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Ray ... Did you say "trusty" retriever or "rusty" one? Have a feeling that there are a lot more of the later than the former.

I hope that the fellas who (for whatever their reasons may have been) failed to get their dawgs back into good conditioned shape prior to the upcoming season, will recognize the importance of taking it easy with those dawgs and cutting them a little slack if their performance appears to be somewhat sub-par.

Warm weather, being out of condition and perhaps pads that softened in the off-season ... all can lend themself to injury or worse if the dawg is pushed to hard.

huntingmarsh
08-29-2003, 09:51 PM
I've been training ol MARSH all summer but since football I haven't been working with her as much as I wish, since football is 3 to 630 or 6 to 830 everyday except sunday, but when I have been training her shes working like a charm. I've got her on marking and i've got alittle force fetch on her too.

Good luck,
Corey

RAY_PA
08-30-2003, 06:50 AM
hehehe, Jim. I said trusty, but will be the first to admit, mine is a tad rusty. We trained hard in the spring, titled toward the end of May and really havent done a thing during June, July and August. The honey do list was just HUGE this year and it was dang hot for most of that time. I know, excuses-excuses, but I really just didnt have (make) the time. SO...now we will start getting back in shape physicaly and tune back up the skills. I have about 50 or 60 live birds to use up before season (Oct 11) so we should be able to get back in the mix by then. Good luck all and please heed Jim's advice, dont go too hard on the ol dawg if you havent done your part to get him/her back in the groove.

Take care, Ray

there has to be more guys out there gettin their dawg(s) ready for season, come on, post up what your doing.
Conditioning, handeling, lining, marks...little of everything?