PDA

View Full Version : What should I do??

kodiakhunter
09-08-2003, 01:53 PM
I have a 10 month old yellow lab who just recently went on his first goose hunt, I didn't have any real expectations for him other than just the experience of being on the hunt. Well he has been around me when I've shot pigeons and chuckers and didn't have an issue with the shooting and I've also had him out to a local gun club when they've had trap shooting but with 3 guys in the blind (all that he is familiar with) shooting next to him he gets scared and moves back around 10 feet and just sits there and then will not come back to the blind, what should I do to get him conditioned to more than one shooter???

Actually one other question- how do you get your dog accustomed to fetching a goose? I have a ded fowl goose dummy but that isn't close to the size of a real goose.

JK
09-08-2003, 02:50 PM
hey kodiak...sounds like you might want to take a few steps back with your lab. you probably pushed the gun issue a little too quickly. try to make the next experience with a gun a positive one. first thing id do is get pup reaquainted to the blind again. feed him there, pet him there, play with him there etc...get him excited to be in the blind without gun shots. then slowly reintroduce loud noises along with some marks (easy ones) to associate the blind with your purpose. maybe throw a few marks out of the blind then implement some cap guns as you throw your marks. even better, have a friend stand 50 yards or so away from the blind and shoot into the air as he throws a mark. if pup flinches, have your friend back up more...whatever it takes. set your pup up for a good time. sounds like he is right on the edge of gunshyness, so you want to be really careful not to rush him and youll be fine. good luck.

jake

Woods and Water
09-10-2003, 09:40 AM
JK hit it on the head with his post.......Good luck!!!

kodiakhunter
09-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Ok so I took him out each night this week and first I started shooting with him around 50 yds away and I throw a dummy and shoot and then he would go and get it fine, then I did it at a shorter distance and he was fine with that and last night I had him right next to me while I was doing it and he was fine, so would you recommend having a few people shooting around him during training just to see if he is fine with it, because he doesn't have an issue when I'm shooting.

JK
09-12-2003, 03:32 PM
i would. id run some marks with flyers (while others shoot) so you can pay attention to handling your pup. sounds like you are getting some good signs...just take your time and dont rush it. any time you see something negative, take a step back in basics. look at these early years as a pendulum. in order to swing way out you have to build momentum. the momentum is built slowly yet steadily until you are swinging as far as you want to go. keep letting us know how things progress.

jake

Woods and Water
09-12-2003, 06:01 PM
I have seen dogs that handle one gun alot better than many guns,especially in a pit or blind situation.I would get him under these circumstances on a non hunting day(training only)with some shooters and dummies to retrieve,and see how he does.It sounds to me like this can be easily remedied,good luck and good hunting.