PDA

View Full Version : FA Hide a pooch or Avery Dog Finisher?

Scott Weinmann
09-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Which have you guys had better luck with the hide a pooch or averys new dog finisher?

shootem
09-18-2003, 07:45 PM
The hide a mute is larger and I think is easier to conceal.

JK
09-19-2003, 07:09 AM
ive been working my chesapeake from a FA hide-a-pooch all summer. he seems to like it a lot. but, ive never used a finisher dog blind so i cannot compare. if i could modify my FA, id make it a little taller so my dog can turn aroound inside the blind a bit easier. as he turns around (he's not that big 73 lbs.), sometimes he knocks it over on its side...so do i have to stake it down? its not that big of a deal, but i like things to be hastle free. also, i would modify the entrance. i think i would raise the lower wall at the entrance up about 6-8 inches. my retriever likes to sit with his torso hanging out of the front. i think a different entrance design could promote better hiding ability. i walked away from the dog blind @100 yards (with tanner inside) it looks like a big black hole. does anyone else agree with this? what do you do about it?

jake

shootem
09-19-2003, 08:13 AM
I have two dogs yellow male 80 lbs and a black male 95 lbs. I have never had ether dog turn over the blind. They have been taught to lay down in the blind after they turn around. My brother has a Avery blind and we have trained out of it. My dogs can turn around in it but it is way too small. My brothers female is about 45 lbs, yes she is very small. The dogs do rub off all the camouflage we put in the front stubble scraps going in and out.

shootem
09-24-2003, 07:18 PM
In action

Jubilee
10-01-2003, 07:56 PM
That looks real good Shootem.

Not to take away from this debate on which dog blind to get, but we don't use them, and I don't know if we ever will. Currently we don't have blinds ourselves, but are in the serious thought process of getting a couple. We have taught our dogs to lay under Super Mag shells, our labs are a couple of females at around 80 lbs a piece a choc. and a yellow, we got them where they don't have anything but their head sticking out the butt of the goose decoy, we have never had any trouble with birds flaring b/c of this. I think if we ever get blinds ourselves, our dogs will continue to lay under the shells, unless we put them in the blinds with us.