PDA

View Full Version : Any vets on these boards...??

Woods and Water
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
I have a 5 yr old male who was just at the vets.He has a swollen left testicle and they are thinking it is a infection.They gave him pain meds and anti-biotics and siad that it is reccomended to remove that testicle....??/Seems rather drastic to me,he is a hunter/breeder and wanted to hear frrm any prosfessionals on the bords to see if they are on base with they observation.
Thanks for your time and for those that read this if you have the time throw Ol Chopper in your prayers!!!!!Hes my furry kid!!!!!!

Take Care Mark

Yellardawg
09-25-2003, 07:27 AM
I am not a Vet (But I play one on the internet ;) ) My recommendation to you is to get a second opinion before doing anything else. Make sure they check him for Brucellosis....and if it is Brucellosis he needs to be fixed.

Brucellosis - Dogs
Basics

DEFINITION
Contagious disease of dogs caused by Brucella canis, a small, intracellular, gram-negative organism
Characterized by abortion and infertility in females and epididymitis and testicular atrophy in males

SIGNS
General Comments
Suspect whenever female dogs experience abortions or reproductive failures or males have genital disease

Males—swollen scrotal sacs, often with scrotal dermatitis; enlarged and firm epididymides
Chronic infection—unilateral or bilateral testicular atrophy; cloudy eyes (anterior uveitis with corneal edema); spinal pain; posterior weakness; ataxia
Fever rare
Enlarged superficial lymph nodes (e.g., retropharyngeal, external inguinal) common

JK
09-25-2003, 07:30 AM
hey mark...im not a vet, but my brother is so i asked him for recommendation regarding your retriever. obviously, it is too vague for him to diagnose without examining your dog, so take it all with a grain of salt.

he says," infections and injuries are common causes of male infertility...there are many causes of these infections from cuts, weeds, chemicals, etc...bacteria then invades the area causing the infection. are the testicles hard? most testicular infections are treated with antibiotics selected on the BASIS of a culture or sensitivity test. corticosteroids and ice packs to the scrotum can reduce the swelling and inflammation."

following resolution....the testicle may shrink and become small and firm. if so, the testicle will no longer produce sperm. in some cases, a persistent infection may occur. removal of the testicle is then recommended to control future complications.

thats all he can say without examination. good luck, man!

jake

JK
09-25-2003, 07:43 AM
as yellardawg mentioned, my brother mentioned brucellosis and distemper as causing agents, but was reluctant to say too much until further examination had occured. get another opinion...ft. collins has an awesome clinic in chappelle small animal hospital. they are a bit more expensive, but far more thorough...i guarantee it. give them a call....970-482-7595...1601 N US HWY 287...ft collins.

jake

Woods and Water
09-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Well boys thanks for your info and taking the time to respond,he slept all night on my arm .....forgot how heavy he is!!!!He looks better this morning and actually started wagging his tail again.They gave him a anti-biotic by injection last night and a pian med by injection as well.They gave me Rimadyl Cewables 75mg at administer twice daily.They also gave me Ditrim 480mg it says two pills twice a day.
They did a Brucellosis test on him before we started to breed him so he should be ok there.....Thanks again Mark

Yellardawg
09-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Woods and Water
They did a Brucellosis test on him before we started to breed him so he should be ok there.

HE would only be Ok if he was breed to clean females. Did you insist on proof that the females had tested negative prior to breeding. It is a "Social disease" and he can pick it up from breeding to a female that has it. I'd test him again if he has been bred since the first test.

Woods and Water
09-25-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks Yg I will have him tested again to be sure,I was told she was clean by the owner but never seen paper work.
Thanks Mark

peeto
10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
FYI-
I personnally know 2 labs (both great dogs) that Rimadyl (sp) killed in quick fashion...I refuse to use it on a lab...in both, liver functions were acutely impacted which lead to their deaths.
PS- Don't flame me, I witnessed it first hand....

Yellardawg
10-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by peeto
FYI-
I personnally know 2 labs (both great dogs) that Rimadyl (sp) killed in quick fashion...I refuse to use it on a lab...in both, liver functions were acutely impacted which lead to their deaths.
PS- Don't flame me, I witnessed it first hand....

Won't flame you...it's true. Liver Enzymes are supposed to be checked prior to starting rimadyl and should be routinely checked if the dog is on a Rimadyl regimen. IF the dog has undetected liver problems, then Rimadyl can exasorbate (sp) them.

Nevada Jim
10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Yellardawg ...

You either meant:

Exacerbate or masturbate. They are virtually one and the same, if married to the wrong woman. :SE:

RAY_PA
10-02-2003, 10:10 AM
LMAO....very good point

Yellardawg
10-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Hehehehehe

Woods and Water
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Well it ends up that my yellow lab had a nut get twisted......Poor dude!!They cut him yesterday and at least him came out of it good,went ahead and had them take both nuts and make sure he is as healthy as can be.He wasnt on pain meds for more than a week so Im not to worried,But thanks for the heads up.I just cant wait till he is healed up and start chasing birds with me again!!!!!
Thanks for everyones help and reccomendations it helped,hope you all have a great weekend!!!!!!
Mark

JK
10-03-2003, 08:11 AM
:VC: that would lead me to drinking. glad he's going to be ok.

jake

RAY_PA
10-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Glad everything worked out good for ya, Mark.

BrianM
10-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Just kidding!I talked to Mark by phone last night and says Choppers doing better!
Take Care Mark!

Woods and Water
10-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys the Ol yeller dawg is doing much better,hes chomping at the bit to get out and pound some quackers though!!!!!1 more week and well be doing what we love!!!