PDA

View Full Version : Take A Kid Along

wingfeather
08-03-2000, 10:28 AM
If you get the chance to introduce a kid to waterfowl hunting you will find its more of a reward to you than to them. I had the privilege to guide my son last year for two days of goose hunting. On the first day he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and was pretty depressed over it the second day the first bird that came in he hammered it and discovered that it was a orange collar from the NWT. What a day his first goose was a collar!!! Nothing has topped this experience yet for him or me. Take a kid hunting

Eric
08-03-2000, 10:57 AM
I have a son who just turned four. How old was your son when you first took him out into the field? I am looking forward to introducing my boy to the outdoors and he really enjoys fishing.
ERIC

IDBrian
08-03-2000, 11:17 AM
I am looking forward to the youth waterfowl hunting day here in Idaho this year. I will be taking my stepson on his first goose hunt in the morning then out for ducks in the afternoon/evening. I think he is even more excited about it than me.

Goldeneye
08-03-2000, 02:07 PM
Eric,

That's a good question. What is a good age to begin the little ones in waterfowling? I have a 2 yea old daughter and a 5 year old daughter, and so far, the 5 year old says she would like to go get some geese with me! What does everyone think?

tsodak
08-03-2000, 02:41 PM
I took my 2 and 4 year olds out last year for an afternoon hunt, and even though the birds did not come, they still had lots of fun.

wingfeather
08-03-2000, 09:49 PM
My son started fishing at the pond when he was three and made it into the blind when he turned six and I cant keep him out of it now.

Skeet in NZ
08-03-2000, 11:05 PM
My youngest daughter had her first opening weekend with me last season and she was 10 years old. She had been coming clay busting with me for two years before that. I am looking at getting her a 20ga auto for the next season.

The older daughter is 12 and she loves to fish infact she is the lucky charm on the boat when things get slow I take her out and start catching fish again. She hated the sound of the gun but this season she enjoy coming out for a pheasant with me.

I think the kids pretty much let you know when they are ready to go with you. My handy hint is take the kids with you and you have no fight with the wife when you go out hahaha.

Like you WingFeather I think having a child out in the blind or boat or a walk the exoerince is rewarding and reminds you about safety with the firearms as you don't want to teach them bad habits.

buck_master_2001
08-03-2000, 11:10 PM
Well I am 16 now but my dad use to take me out in the blind when I was about 3 years old and teach me everything there is to know.I started to hunt when I was 8 years old in Ohio(can't hunt in Mich. untill 12 years old).I have been hooked ever since.I often skip school to go out and hammer some ducks and geese.Hell I actually think I learn more out in the field then in school, HEHEHE!!!