PDA

View Full Version : Retreiving Geese

kodiakhunter
10-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Ok I have a 10 month old male yellow lab and he has had his first experience with retreiving and he has done a great job with ducks but he wont pick up a goose, how do you get them to retreive a goose??? He acts like he is scared of it.

chcltlabz
10-06-2003, 01:22 PM
First off, is the dog force fetched? That would make this task much easier if he was, but I'll assume he isn't.

Get a small goose and sacrifice it from the pot to use strictly for training. Frozen birds are actually easier for a dog sometimes, because they can get a better grip.

I prefer to start on yard work with them, tossing them, and coaxing them to retrieve it. Praise the heck out of them when they return with it. Throw steadiness and manners out the door, and focus on the retrieve. Don't let the dog play with the bird or mouth it, but be careful not to be too heavy with the punishment, because it might have a lasting effect that you don't want.

Some people prefer to start hand tossing geese in water, because it is easier to retrieve a bird on water. That's your call. I prefer the controlled environment of the yard, rather than the excitement of the water.

Once your dog is reliably retrieving the goose, you can work up to steadiness and hold to delivery.

I think once you slowly introduce the dog to the bird, the rest will come quickly.

chcltlabz
10-06-2003, 01:24 PM
One more thing, if you have another dog, or someone you can train with has a dog that does retrieve geese, I've found that jelousy works great on dogs. Let your dog watch from a lead while another dog retrieves geese (thrown). It should drive your dog crazy, and they will be so primed to retrieve once they get their turn, the rest should go quickly.

kodiakhunter
10-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Alright, I have some friends that have dogs that do a lot of retreiving of geese so I'll get the dogs together and hopefully mine will learn by example, Thanks for the info.

RAY_PA
10-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by chcltlabz
Get a small goose
. I prefer the controlled environment of the yard, rather than the excitement of the water.

Great suggestions! I would make it a point to use a the smallest one you can get. A big honker is a tough jub, especially for a 10 mo old!
Good luck, Ray

Quack Smacker
10-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Use a small goose for training.

Last year my buddies dog was just 9 months(golden retriever- 50 +/- lbs) and it was all she could do to bring back her first big ol' honker. It was kinda funny watching her...she was prancing back all happy...stepping on it's wings, which pulled it from her mouth. (growling the whole time) She finally resorted to the ol'... drag it backwards..like a wrecker pulling a car out of a ditch! This year she has put on some growth and is ripped like all get out...Will be no problems this year!

Q.S.

JK
10-08-2003, 07:11 PM
i used Tom Dokken's waterfowl dummies to force fetch and run marks with my dog. you have probably seen these dummies in stores or catalogs...they manufacture doves, quail, teal, scaup, pheasants, mallards and even geese. i use a duck or goose wing and secure them with zip ties (2) to simulate the bird of choice. they will last forever.

jake

kodiakhunter
10-16-2003, 06:02 AM
Well he retrieved his first goose last night, a 4 pound little guy. But he ran right out into the water and grabbed it, it was a cripple swimming out. makes me proud..

RAY_PA
10-16-2003, 06:07 AM
CONGRATS!!:Rich:

wetdawg
11-01-2003, 04:57 AM
Well alright! I was also going to suggest the "jealousy route". My buddy's yellow dog wasn't too keen on training with geese, so when we went to canada, I sent my chocolate after the first goose of the hunt, right out in front of his dog...the honor did the trick. She became a goose-picking-up wild woman!
Both these dogs are under 65#...and they did alright!

Southern Boy
11-05-2003, 06:31 AM
Mine just enjoys picking them up.