PDA

View Full Version : Hey you VT'ers!

DUCKSBANE
10-13-2003, 04:34 AM
I posted this on another forum. I am looking for some imput from you VT ers that hang out here.

Gunned the MNWR sat and sun and it was TOUGH. Few birds and the few seemed educated. Not call responsive. Ended with 19 for 2 full days and 3 guys. PAINFULL!!!!

Hey you VT'ers. What with people up that way thinking they own the marsh? I got this corner that I was marking birds at 0300 on sat, and at 0500 these guys come walking in and start breaking my balls telling me its there spot they have been gunning it for years, I should move etc etc etc. :CL: :NW: Finally after breaking my stones for an hour they tell me Im NOT a sportsman...im a a-hole and they set up 40 yards behind me and pass shoot.

Then the permanant blind 100 yards to my left is bitching for the first 20 mins before shooting time among them selves (LOUD)about how inconsiderate we are for setting near them. I say nothing in return. At 0645 a loon flys past and they shoot and cripple it. It drifts in flight a hundred yards away. I stand up and say hey buddie that was a loon you just crippled.. :OUCH: he says was that what that was......and as the words come out of his mouth the loon becomes vocal and calls every 5 mins for the next hour. :CU:
They pulled and left.

So whats with these Vermont duck ethics???:PO: :PO:

goosespirit
10-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Ducksbane,

Dude,.....you should have let us know you were coming up to MNWR.

Well, I moved here from texas 2 years ago, and yes I will say that vt duck hunters ethics are in the toilet. Most people up there have been hunting there for years so they think they own the goddamn spot. I say screw them you can hunt wherever you want.

Secondly, if it truly was a loon they crippled, I would really like to know if you have any info as to who they were, licence plate numbers or anything else. VT has been working diligently to clean things up and spending tons of money to get the loons back, and that just makes me f'ing sick.

VTblackfoot and I were up there saturday, and it was comical....no downright depressing at the skybusting, horrible calling, and everything else. I will never hunt MNWR during opening weekend again, you can bet on that.

PM me with more details, I would really like to know.

Mike

Bones
10-13-2003, 04:16 PM
C'mon Bane......
the only reason your so upset is that those VT guys skyblasted that loon before it could set into your loon dekes! I bet you had your loon call just ripping waiting to get that sucker close enough for a clean kill unlike those wounding turds!!:JW: :OUCH:
Bones:BM:

DUCKSBANE
10-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Alright bones, I will come clean, those bad boys eat just like eagle....They go great with peach wine! MMMMMMM:BM:

DUCKDIGGLER
10-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Theres that damn peach wine again!

DUCKSBANE
10-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Got to throw it in there for the VT boys:Rich:

Pete S
10-13-2003, 06:33 PM
DB I have been putting whith that crap for the last 15 years that I have hunted in VT and NH.I have meet a few real waterfowlers up there.But they are few and far between.
You forgot to add along whith the skybusting and other BS.The shooting in the air as birds work your rig.Or the shooting of birds as they make a swing to your decoys.
Pete S

DUCKSBANE
10-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah Pete, we saw plenty of that too.:CL: :NW: :PO:

creek hunter
10-14-2003, 04:03 AM
Hey DB, thats Swanton for ya. I wont hunt up there till mid to late season. Thats just the way these guys have been for years......very anal. They just can't except that it is public water. I hunted all three days and it sucked. Killed 4 opening day and pulled goose eggs sun/mon. I think it had more to do with the weather than anything. Don't get down on all of us up here. There are some serios duck hunters in vermont. Just alot ignerant ones that like to fake it to. Dan

VTblackfoot
10-14-2003, 04:40 AM
wish I coud answer your question about ethics of hunting up here, but I just can't - pisses me off to no end, cuz all they do is ruin it for everyone else. As simple as it seems I think it comes down to this: most people up here don't want to take the time to learn how to do it correctly. I don't know why this makes them so vocal and in your face about "we've been hunting here for X number of years, but it does - have seen it in turkey hunting too. Wish I had a better answer for ya. I have started hunting smaller bodys of water early in the season - not as many birds, but no jackasses. Aren't to many goose hunter up here cuz that takes some work. Getting out on the water with a handfull of decoys and a wally-world call is pretty darn easy. Let me know, also, if you have any info on those guys - I know a game warden and a couple of hunters who would be happy to pursue it.

Sean

DUKGOOSHUNT247
10-14-2003, 04:13 PM
If their Duck hunting ethics are anything like their deer hunting ethics,

WELL...

That explains everything. You ever been there on an opening day of deer season, It's like Nam all over again.

You probably wished you stayed home, You could of killed 20 birds here in 2 days.

Good Hunting Boys!

VTblackfoot
10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
hey 247 - please don't start generalizing this post - this is a topic that gets me hot under the collar anyway and when guys start generalizing about poor ethics statewide that really burns me. :PO: :PO: I put a lot of hard work in to my hunting and get a real sense of pride knowing that I and the guys I hunt with are ethical hunters. To generalize an entire states' hunting ethics because of a few real frickin slobs is not cool.

VTGUNNER
10-14-2003, 06:27 PM
I hunt on the total other end of the state....Connecticut river zone, I know of 5 duck hunters in this area, two of which don't hunt my area. I have seen this bull crap you talk about in turkey hunting, but I have to admit, people are too busy bow hunting, for them 4 legged creatures, Thats good for me. I run the river at will and hunt where I please, once in awhile, I will have some freaks set up by me, and throw out 700 decoys in one big clump and call to the prairies, but they never come back for some reason, probably because they don't see or shoot crap. I am with VTBLACKFOOT on this one, we are not all like that. We have an obligation to turn in those that flagrantly break laws. Loons are protected big time, and last I looked they do not look like ducks, the very fact that a loon could be mistaken for a duck says enough about them as duck hunters. I ran into some guys this past week grouse hunting that were from Connecticut, and I talked with them for an hour and pointed them in direction of some good covers, so they could have a good hunt, that is Vermont hospitality, and it does exist here, you must search to find it, you are hunting in the hotest part of the state, which breads people and pressure.

creek hunter
10-15-2003, 03:28 AM
DB , you said these loon whackers were hunting out of a permanant blind? Vermont law states that a sign with your name and address be attached directly to any blind constructed on any VT waters.I'd call Mark Sweeney, the MNWR manager and atleast tell him what happened. The feds/state authorities may not be able to prosecute the slob responsible,but make his life miserable at best. This problem with people thinking they own the marsh occurs all over lake champlain. It has always been that way and will likely never change. thank goodness we'll have wednesday openers for the next two years. that seems to weed out a lot of the halfasses.

DUCKSBANE
10-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Alright you VT boys, you obviously have your good as well. I know that, I am just amased that those guys truely believe they have the right to a spot even if I am there first...And whats with those stakes??????:HUH: BS: Let me see if I got this...I go out to a public marsh before the opener...Pick a spot I like...drive a stake in the ground with my name on it....and thats "MY SPOT" for the whole year and no one else can hunt it:rf: :tu: :PO:

I will call Mark and tlet him know who those guys are. Dont know what he can do about it but I will call him.

Dave

DUCKDIGGLER
10-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Gett'em BANE!!! Damn Loon slayers stinkin up the waterfowling world!

:OUCH:

DUKGOOSHUNT247
10-15-2003, 02:27 PM
OOPS...

I didn't mean to generlize on the hunting eithics of you Vermont guys. But just like everything else you always here about the bad things and not all the good things.

I'm sure you're a fine, outstanding display of sportsmanship Blackfoot, but we are not talking about the good, were talking about the bad and the ugly in this case.

What those boys did was wrong, I'm sure DB was set up in his boat with all his birds out, What did they expect, David to pick up his whole rig and leave?

Anyway,

As the saying goes "A few bad apples spoils the bunch"

And I'm sure there are good ethical hunters in Vermont, We just have to turn the bad ones in and make more room for us good guys.

Good hunting
and good luck

VTblackfoot
10-15-2003, 02:47 PM
AMEN, Brutha - let's thin 'em out:bang: :bang:

DrBob
10-15-2003, 07:09 PM
I've ran into my equal share everywhere. You just can't get mad at opening day because many of those clowns only go the first weekend or two. Later in the season I've had some good hunts (for one guy and in VT w/o local knowledge) and the whole marsh to myself. After opening weekend its usually only the serious guys out there.

I believe the deal is that if the blind is unoccupied by 30 minutes before, you can actually use the blind eventhough it's staked and made by others. I think the staking is to force people to remove them at the end of the season so those beautiful marshes don't get crapped up with ol' shitty blinds. check anyway with the state agency. a few more weeks and that baloney will be behind. anyway it's all about fun........

DUCKSBANE
10-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Not in VT. The stakes and blinds stay all year..In the MNWR they put stakes only in the ground with their name on it and claim that land as thiers. You can take the staked spots or setup in front of the blinds at any hour if you are the first one there. The problem is when they get there they think and act like you are trespassing. Real pain in the arse arguing the point with these idiotes. Most of the time they will still shoot right on top of you as there is no law in VT about distance between blinds.

Spoke with the manager of the MNWR today and said hes been getting hate mail all week because a article was published this week in a local paper that he was quoted, as stating that the blinds and stakes should not be allowed in the marsh. They will look into the guys that killed the loon.
Dave

creek hunter
10-16-2003, 04:02 AM
Those guys shouldnt be leaving there blind s up all year. Vermont law requires that a blind can't be constructed until the first saturday in sept. and must be removed by feb 15. I knoww the wardens have gone around and taken photos of the signs before season for ID purposes later in the winter. Its a pretty hefty fine and 5 points on your licence if there not removed by the deadline. The stakes don't mean shit. They cause more problems than any thing else. Yet these same guys put out a whole slew of'em every year. Good huntin and be safe.