PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

cself02
10-13-2003, 09:21 AM
What would you do?

My Black Lab Chase just had pups back in the spring. She recently came back in heat, I let her and the pup out back (fenced in with New 6ft privacy fence) to go pee, I took a quick shower and then went to let them back in but only the pup was there, I yelled for chase (it was still dark couldn't see) and I saw her and what looked like a Shadow off the fence, but no it was a male stray dog (a mut at that) I hollerd and the dog took off and scureid out one of the holes that he broke through my fence, (Destroyed the fence) Chase came to me and I took her in the house examed her, couldnt' realy tell if she had been bread but she was wet on her stomach and back. So my take is she got bread,

So here are my options, 1 wait a month to see if she is pregnant and then get her spaid.

or get her the shot to stop the pregnancy and risk Uranary infection. Must get this done within 72 hours so this wednesday before 5:30 am.

There is no way I am just having the pups, because they will be mutts and this will ruen her for hunting this season. I didn't want to have her spaid because I was wanting to get one more litter out of her.

shootem
10-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Do you have a vet in the area that is good with small animals. Have you given them a call. And it is always a good idea to call 2 or 3 vets. You will be surprised on the difference of opinions. I know a lot of vets that deal mainly with large animals and some vet are just small animals only. Hopefully one or two of the vets on the forum will respond.

cself02
10-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Yes I actually called about 6 vets this morning as soon as they opened. Most of them pushed the Spaying, but I hear that is a coman thing. My home town Vet clinic that I normally take her to and who we have used for cattle and everything for many years said they can do the shot with no problems, they said that there is a risk, but it is not common.

Looks like I am just going to take off the rest of the week and get this taken care of and then keep an eye on her for the week.

Bumber way to spend a vacation.

Ranger/Max
10-13-2003, 07:01 PM
I had the shot done to a GSP and had no problems, but they forgot to tell me it extends the heat cycle so watch for that. But I would say go by what the vet you trust says.

shootem
10-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Casey what did you decide to do? And did you talk to any one else?

huntingmarsh
10-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Well after talking to a bunch of people and some friends that had went with the shot I went ahead and drove back home and got it done, Only cost 10 bucks and it was quick and painless. SO now it is just a waiting game and I have to watch her close because it extends the heat cycle, forgot to ask how much longer though but.

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.:BZ: :BZ: :BZ:

This is casey by the way, I forgot to log my little brother out.