PDA

View Full Version : flocking question?????

Quonk
10-23-2003, 03:11 PM
I just bought 2 dozen new foots to add to my rig. I have never flocked ay of my deks before so I am curious, do you guys flock brand new haeds or do you wait a year or 2 when they get worn looking? I have read of people using flat black paint for the "glue" instead of the stuff in the kit. How do you prep the heads and where is the best place to get the stuff I need? Thanks in advance.

BandCollector
10-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Run a search under "flocking" and you will find a great deal of information on the subject. I have found that it doesn't matter if the heads are new or weathered. I have been using flat black Rust Oleum and it works very well. Good luck with your search, John (BandCollector)

Honkerhammer
11-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Flat black brush-on Rust Oleum is the way to go and the flocking can be had at Donjer.com. The combo is the cheapest (and best) way to go. The Rust Oleum seems to harden better and faster and really hold the flocking. You have to make sure and prep the heads well to assure good adhesion of the paint and don't be skimpy with the "glue". I just used a good stiff wire wheel on my drill which I clamped in my vise. Worked out really good.

You might also think about getting some extra heads and do some chopping before you start flocking. I just got done doing a bunch of Higdon Stackables and chopped heads into a bunch of interesting poses. Preeners, sleepers, resting and 3 different styles of greeters. You become quite an artist with a little practice. My wife was even impressed with some of my stuff and that's not easy to do.

honkerhammer:Rich: