PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

the goose
10-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Is it best to feed a dog one time a day or two times a day ?

Goose Bandit
10-25-2003, 06:54 PM
the goose, I feed mine once a day at night, for the simple reason I dont like to work on a full stomach and I dont think they do either, it gives them time to digest their food before they go to work. I have notice buddys of mine that feed their dogs in the morning the dogs just shit it out right away most of the morning so I dont think they digest everything.. just my 2 cents

Cut-um
10-25-2003, 09:39 PM
As a rule the "Bumble Bee" eats once a day in the morning but on hunting days she gets about a 1/3 of her food before the hunt and the remainder when we get back home. Reason being is I don't want her working hard with a full belly yet I want her to have a little something to keep her energy up. I also feed in the morning so she is able to burn up the food during the day while she's active...:TT:

BEAR CALLER
10-26-2003, 05:22 AM
I feed my dog's the same way as Cut-um with one feeding in the morning. If they are not working they get it all after their morning walk but if there is some retrieving to be done (I hope) they get the same 1/3 before and the remainder when the job's done.

Woods and Water
10-26-2003, 11:12 AM
I like to split my dogs food into two so they get a morning meal and a evening meal(eat when we eat).I know I like to have something in my belly in the morning and at night.......During hunting season I will normally give them a 1/4 of their food before we go,and then have a couple snacks for them while out(dog bisquits)normally half my sandwich if we had a busy day.

the goose
10-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks a bunch guys , take care an Good Hunting ,it has been here , hehehehee:Rich:

shootem
10-28-2003, 07:53 AM
I believe young dogs 2to 4 months old should be feed 3 times a day. From 4 to 16 months twice a day. After that is up to the owner. I do believe twice a day is better, 1/3 in the morning and 2/3 at night. I will always feed my dogs before I go hunting, I feed them at least 2 hours before they are worked. They are aired after feeding and right before hunting so they empty out.