PDA

View Full Version : Latest carving

Flipper
10-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Sorry about the indoor flash photo, but you will get the idea. I just finished this 21" Northern pike and Butterfly carving. The fish is basswood and tupelo and the rocks, driftwood and butterfly are tupelo. The lilly pads are copper with wire flattened and soldered to the pad.
Jeff:Rich:

Flipper
10-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Different angle, same flash! he he

Flipper
10-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Kind of a close-up, so you can see the flash reflection better!! he he:Rich:

Defcon
10-27-2003, 07:15 PM
WOW!!! That is beautiful. You carved that? How long have you been working on that project? How long have you been carving?

That is amazing. Mind if I share the photos with some guys at work?

yallerlab
10-27-2003, 07:58 PM
ooooooh....:pl:

kygoose
10-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Oh Oh, my wife just seen it Flip, she was walking by & caught it out of the corner of her eye & said WHO did that? Told her you da man! Unbelievabe job! Butterfly WOW.

DUCKDIGGLER
10-28-2003, 03:30 AM
Sweet in-deed! Nice work Flip!:Rich:

GOOSKI
10-28-2003, 06:22 AM
You the MAN!!!!

goosemasterjk
10-28-2003, 07:04 AM
FLIPPER- That ROCKSawesome job!!

Jeff

Woods and Water
10-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Wow Flipper....That is some first class work buddie,you have a great talent and Im jealous!!!:Rich:

Jossie
10-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Wow Flipper, that is a great piece of work! Was this a commisoned piece?
Your carving and painting are first class!!!! :uh: :uh: :pl: :pl: :pl:

Flipper
10-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Yes this was a commissioned piece that I had put off for about a year(busy raising ducks and playing on the new farm).
Defcon, I have been carving for around 10 years. As for the hours, not to good at keeping track, maybe around 50 to 60. This is not competition quality, a piece like this for say the World would take around 150 of going overboard on nit picking. I would have used several sized scales and made sure they didn't get out of line or anything. The paint was waterbased Polytranspar on the fish with Gary Bowen Super Fish Gloss in a spray can as a clearcoat. The driftwood was roughed out and then flame carved with a propane torch. You burn it and then brush it at the same time with a stiff wire brush and it creates a weathered look. :Rich:

Flipper
10-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Natural light.

Flipper
10-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Other side

Flipper
10-29-2003, 09:44 AM
close up

Flipper
10-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Fish ready to seal and paint

Drake2137
10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Wow.......amazing job.......love the paint......that is the hardest part for me.......just got back into carving again, I want to carve a life size goose, I think that would be cool......Heres a pic of one of my carvings that I did years ago......

Flipper
10-29-2003, 03:49 PM
That is my favorite duck, nice job!

soto11
10-29-2003, 04:32 PM
VERY AWESOME THAT ROCKS :Rich:

Jossie
10-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Drake, great looking pintail! Good luck with your venture back into carving and be sure and post up your latest work.

Dang Flipper, 50 to 60 hrs to carve all that........it would have taken me that long to carve the butterfly.:pl:

Love the look of your fish even before you painted him, really shows the beauty of the wood and your carving ability. Are the scales burned in?
I have a duck completly carved and burned right now and am just about ready to seal and gesso him. Almost hate to paint him....I think he looks kind of cool just burned

By the way, are your ducks still around? or have they headed off to other lands?:cool:

Flipper
10-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Jossie, the scales are burned and I make my own tips for the size and shape of the scale I need. You can also make tips shaped like pointed little bird feathers to burn the feathers on the head and breast very quickly. If you want to make your own tips you can get a video and the special wire for the tips at www.fishcarver.com

The ducks are still here eating lots of food and it is very cool to sit out there in the evening and watch 75 to 100 of there wild friends dropping in. I have to go to Texas for 5 weeks for training and it sucks because I wanted to be here when the migraiters were stopping in. Pretty cool when you can turn a bean field into a duck haven.

:Rich:

Jossie
10-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Flipper, thanks for the great website. Just spent the last 30 minutes there reading. Had no idea you could build your own tips for your woodburner......just what I needed....something else to spend my money on:OM: Alot of great info there!

Glad to hear your babies are still hanging around and bringing new friends in.

If you happen to be swinging thru Ks on your way to texas or on your way back, give me a holler, would be glad to take you out for a duck, goose, or quail hunt.:cool: :cool:

Dave Smith
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
JEFF I'M SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!! and that is unusual for me- that Pike is incredible- I have seen so many BOTCHED pike carvings- you nailed it!!!!! gorgeous

Flipper
11-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks Dave!
Jossie, I am flying down but I would love to hook up and hunt sometime, thanks for the offer.:Rich:

Jubilee
11-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Wow that is amazing, you really have a lot of patience to carve out a masterpiece like that.

goosecollar
11-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Nice looking job, talented, what ever happened to your baby ducks from the spring?

Flipper
11-04-2003, 06:19 PM
They are all grown and like to have their wild friends over for dinner. :Rich:

M.Bassitt
11-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Awsome job on the pike !!!! Like that 3 rd. pic from the top the best. Makes me want to go fishin.

Not to change the subject. Put this summer you had a post on painting fullbody goose decoys, would you still happen to have those pics you posted or maybe you have some that are better. Sure would like to see them again . Tried doing a search, but the pics are gone.

THANKS Mike

Flipper
11-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Mike, go down to the bottom of the Decoy forum page and change the box to the right to the beginning instead of 30 days and you will be able to look back at all the posts here. I founds this one and there are some more.
http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23038

I don't know what happened to the picks on the painting your bigfoots thread and I am stuck in Texas without and picks to fix the problem. Will be here for 3 weeks in Nov. and 2 in Dec. what a way to ruin a hunting season going to school for work.
:CY:

Flipper
11-05-2003, 10:09 AM
OK, Mike I fixed the link to the HP website where I posted the original picks and this thread has that post and 2 others that you might be interested in.

http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25248

M.Bassitt
11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
The links and the pics did work . I have been doing some with a brush and just needed something to compare them with. Don't have a pic right now, but when I do I will post it for ridacule, if I feel brave enough.

THANKS AGAIN
Mike

GOOSEINATOR
11-12-2003, 08:34 AM
AH... Its an OK job I guess. I could do alot better job if it werent for not knowing how to carve or paint.
Hey dude,Ive been off line for awhile. Got your email. Thought I would find you over here.
Lets get together sometime (Your house, STEAKS)
LATER.

SHOOT STRAIGHT

Duck_Struck
11-17-2003, 09:31 PM
:TT: :pl: :pl: :pl:

WOW... I was just looking at some of these ... That is really good..

How long did that take?.... How long have you done this?...

:TT: This is awesome !!!!:cool:

Wood Duck Wizard
11-18-2003, 06:23 PM
That Fish is #1
Great Job Flipper:cool: :TT: :pl:

BigRed77
11-21-2003, 11:19 AM
That Pike looks simply fantastic !!! You have developed a fine piece that would look great on a mantle in my living room.
I would really like to learn how to develope the skills to carve something like this or a duck decoy. Any suggestions where I could get some info or instructional book.....
Again, great job !!!
Big Red form PEI

Flipper
11-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks, there are lots of carving supply companies that sell lots of books and supplies. You can do a search on the web and should come up with a ton. I will help any way I can, this is a good fish carving site. www.fishcarver.com :TT: