PDA

View Full Version : When Should You Put Your Dog Down?

duxbustr*
10-28-2003, 02:21 PM
FYI

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090327/

BEAR CALLER
10-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Pretty tough decision to make. I think each person who owns a dog will know when that time has come. I had a 14 year old Yellow lab who went blind at the age of 10. He knew his way around the house and back yard and had no other problems so I had no problems with him. He was in retirement villa so to speak. I knew a couple days before I had to put him down that things were going bad. You can only do the best you can for them and I think each person will know when the time has come although it is never an easy decision to make. My dog Gunner is 8 now and I'm already dreading the day I will have to make the decision of "our" lives.

chcltlabz
10-30-2003, 05:06 AM
I kind of disagree with the article. I think a dog will tell you when its time, and anyone who is close to their dog will understand him, and honor his request.

I've got a 6 year old "son", and when he goes, the hardest decision will be when to go back hunting, because it just won't be the same.

If you're hunting without a dog, you're just shooting.

yallerlab
10-30-2003, 05:47 AM
As close as most hunters are to their retrievers, I think
you'll know when the right time is, and I think that
they will "tell" you, to a certain extent, that they're
just enduring, not living.
The thing to guard against is letting them drag on
"one more day", day after day until they've suffered
needlessly for much longer than they should.
Most field bred retrievers are so driven and stoic that
when life has become a burden for them, it's really
time for him/her to be released.
Gotta go hug that big ol' floppy-eared dawg now.

Southern Boy
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
I have had to make that "tough" decision. Had a black lab that had allergies real bad. Was able to keep him comfortable with a mild dose of steriods every other day. I was unable to hunt him for the last couple of years of his life but he was happy and as comfortable as he could be. He caught another disease and after 4 days at the vet on IV's I knew it was "time". It was gone out of his eyes.

I wasn't going to get another one for a while but its just not the same without a hunting buddy. My boy now is 6 and I'm not sure how i will handle it when the time comes. He and I have been through a lot together. Not only hunting but the curves life throws at you.