PDA

View Full Version : Shell Advice

Littman
10-29-2003, 08:34 AM
Hi, I am thinking of adding some shells to my spread and was wondering which ones you would reccomend. I will need to carry them to wherever I am going to hunt, thus they should stack well. Thanks.....Peter

Brett Beinke
10-29-2003, 08:58 AM
I am partial to the GHG since I Pro-Staff for Avery but In all honesty, they really do not stack like some of the competition. HOWEVER, since the heads stay on them rock solid my brother came up with a new way of transporing them that works awesome. He drilled holes in the buts of the shells so he could string them together on a piece of strong string. He uses parachute cord. He has 12 in a bundle and you can easily throw 2- 3 bundles on your back. He has hooks in his trailer for hanging them. We can set out 12 dozen in the time it took us to set up 3 dozen G & H's. (we use a lot of snow shells in Canada). It is just another option for you.

goosemasterjk
10-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Littman- Looks wise I would go with the new GHG oversized goose shells they look awesome but stack kinda at an angle so carrying them is kinda hard (we stack 6 in a pile) but if your carrying them a long way I would go with some Flambeau grand mags. stack good and look good to. My.02 cents.

Jeff

don835
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Littman...I only have a dozen GHG Oversize shells but I'm tellin ya, they look GREAT. Best looking shell out there. Add some sleeper heads as well. They stack best with 6 in a pile. You should be able to get about 30 or so GHG's in a 30"x50" bag. That's about all you will want to carry anyway.
I'm not a big fan of shells but the GHG's caught my eye. I'll see how they work this weekend. Good Hunting, Murph.:Rich:

kygoose
10-30-2003, 03:36 AM
HIGDON STACKABLES!

don835
10-30-2003, 03:48 PM
kygoose hit the nail on the head. Higdon Stackables would be another Great choice. I have the feeder stackables and really like 'em. Later, Murph.:Art:

Trigger
10-30-2003, 04:26 PM
I would have to say that the G&H shells stack the best, I pack into the field as well, and the G&H shells stack up 16 in each pile, and I can get 32 in my hockey bag, and carry the heads in a smaller second bag.. With my gun in a strapped carry case, this leaves me with one hand to carry out the geese. If it's the early season.. I'll have to make a second trip.

Higdon's are great.. but heavy.. 10 Higdon weigh about the same as the 32 G&H bodies alone.

Just my 2 cents worth..

Trigger

FANATIC
10-30-2003, 05:14 PM
haven't tried the avery's, we love the higdon's, motion is what got us to try em though as for the most part not a big fan of shells, unless snow out and cold

maximus
11-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I would stick with the Higdons or G&Hs. If the Avery geese are anything like their ducks, the paint will fall off.