PDA

View Full Version : hailcall featheredfriend

D.A.N.S
11-05-2003, 07:52 PM
What is the B-duck and goose situation on the rock. Weather here in Bridgewater is just starting to get down to above freezing.Hoping to get some diver hunting in when I get home from the rig next week.Bell isle should be starting to hold whistlers,bluebills and buffle heads.

featheredfriend
11-09-2003, 03:14 PM
Yo DANS,

The duck n goose situation here is still slow. It has cooled off this week so hopefully this cold snap will bring some whistlers and northerns down. Not much hope for the long necks here this year. PEI is maggoty tho I hear.

We took a couple of days off and went up to my cabin to do some caribou hunting. Not much happening there, saw some sign yesterday morning but not much fur. We did manage to get one 19 pt stag and saw some does but not like most years. Eiders start in a couple of weeks and it will be smashin time then. Turres are starting to come on as well.

Let me know how the diver shootin turns out in your neck of da woods.

Sinkbox
11-11-2003, 02:17 PM
F/F ...I didn't even know that "maggoty" was a word......

DEF: spoiled and covered with eggs and larvae of flies; "flyblown meat";:HUH:

Does that mean PEI is covered up with black flies?

Sinkbox <><

featheredfriend
11-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Sinkbox- maggoty 101 - I believe the word maggoty and its intended meaning may probably be more of a Newfoundland term, eastern Newfoundland at that.

In this case I meant PEI was maggoty w/ birds or covered, like a piece of meat gets covered w/ maggots, simply everywhere and lots of em.

We use the word maggoty for other simple meanings, like the party was maggoty (lots of people) or, he was awful maggoty at the party, meaning the person had a few too many libations and was inebriated beyond coherent movement and discussion. :BZ:

I hope this clarifys what I meant w/ the inference of maggoty, not the litteral sense, and doesn't leave you like a bedlamer on the ice. (Another one for you to look up) :rf: :tn: Newfoundland and Labrador has a style of language all its own! :LOL:

theislander001
11-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Sinkbox dont even try and understand those fellows over on the rock.They have been isolated for so long they forgot how to speak proper english. And yes to use featheredfriend's terminology P.E.I is maggoty with geese. Started off real slow (man oh man) when the geese decided to come they came in great numbers but it seems like theres alot of young geese this year . But its great shooting :wak:

D.A.N.S
11-15-2003, 04:55 PM
If the long necks are slow one the east side that don't bood well for me here.Heading into Bell Isle this week hoping the ponds aren't froze over yet.There are a few long necks in the valley now. My hunting buddy and some of his buddies picked up 19 last week in one outing . Thats real good for this time of year.Hope the eiders treat you good.My moose should arrive from the rock this week , and hopfully the deer are stupid this week ,the deep freeze will be busting.later:in:

featheredfriend
11-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the description and explanation for the language we use here on the rock, Islander. And thanks again for the excellent hunts there buddy. I'll give you a call later, and I'll post those pics ASAP.

Myself a J went out this morning, foggy and POURING rain, :DB: Had about 3-4 inches of h20 in the bottom of the boat by the time we decided to pull anchor and head in. LOL

DANS Sounds like you may have some good shooting down there. It got cold just before I headed across to PEI and some of the ponds froze over and sent some of the birds out to the bay and the hunting has gotten better, but it's after warming up and still no heavy frost.... BTW I shot a drake mallard in PEI that I'm getting done, about time.

:hest:

D.A.N.S
12-03-2003, 07:34 PM
nothing moving on the south shore ,or in the valley.But I have heard that birds have picked up in the Truro and Dartmouth area.Wouldn't mind hooking up with some guys up that way for a hunt or 2 . Hope your trip to the island was better second time around:wak: :wak: