PDA

View Full Version : Had to put my dog down today

greyghost16
11-07-2003, 05:10 PM
He was just five and a half and in good physical condition and it was a miserable time for me.Jack was a male golden which had delighted me with his ability to teach me and learn with me. Even though I was his only teacher, he became a more than respectable waterfowl dog. For several years, we had fought a tendency toward dominance and aggression trying numerous plans including advice and suggestions from a registered dog psychologist. The problem always crept back. His aggression never quite escalated to biting. All the while, we strengthened our bond to each other and were strong friends despite this scattered problem. about ten days ago we were going hunting the next morning and I went to bed early. The bedroom door was open and Jack came in to lie down beside me. He is not allowed to stay in the bedroom. Later in the evening, my wife came in and when she saw him there she spoke to him intending to put him out. He sat up and growled and then charged her in a bloody hell dogfight snarl which caused me to jerk upright thinking that he had attacked an intruder. My wife was able to shut the bedroom door but she believes that otherwise he would have bitten her. I tried to think of any justification and really couldn't. I contacted the vet as soon as possible and told them that I thought he should be put down. They said they had a doctor with a broken arm and were not sure just when they could do it but would call me. They have not called to this day. Meanwhile I tried every possibility for giving him to someone without kids or pups but all failed. I broke out in shingles related to the stress. I decided to contact another vet and they very kindly and professionally put him down. I am truly sickened inside. I have been told that this dog had genetic alpha tendencies and I did try to stay on top of it from the beginning. If you see any signs of dominant behavior in your dogs, please address it right away. I would like to spare you a day like this.

shootem
11-07-2003, 05:58 PM
You did the right and only thing you could have done, he may have seriously injured someone. You did every thing you could to change him and I commend you on your efforts. This makes the pain no less great. Give it some time it will get better.

cself02
11-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear about that, sometimes there is no other choice.

V BOARD
11-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that.I had to do the same thing about Three years ago.He was a male about 2 1/2 yrs of age at the time. He became what you call a fear biter and he bit my youngest son and that sealed his fate.It broke my heart to do it but no dog of mine goes biting people let alone my son.I don't care how good the dog is.You did the right thing.

BEAR CALLER
11-08-2003, 06:15 PM
That's a tough decision to have to make but you made the right one. You are right about a dog showing the alpha tendencies, nip it in the butt early to save trouble later.

Defcon
11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
As a true dog lover, I know it must have been incredibly difficult. My thoughts are with you. I am sooo glad your wife is ok.

I had a situation where a friends dog attacked him. It was a full grown doberman and I was over there to pick him up to goto lunch. I am glad that you will never see what a mauling is. You did what you had to do.

GOOSKI
11-10-2003, 02:55 PM
That must of been a hard decision. But ultimatly the right one. Better to do it now, then later after something serious happens.

Woods and Water
11-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Man thats a tough one.....sorry for the loss glad your wife is OK!!!

Tim Williams
11-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear that your wife is OK, and saddened by your loss.

Jubilee
11-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Truely a tough choice, glad I didn't have to make it. I feel for you.