PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore's

don835
11-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Fellas, I'm going to try to be subjective here so please bear with me in my excitement over Hardcore decoys.:Art:

I have hunted Canadas out of my pit 4 times so far this year. On 3 of those hunts I decoyed 5 flocks. These flocks were the only Geese to come close to my spread. The thing that amazes me is that ALL 5 Flocks lit in the red zone on either the first or second pass. They finished so hard and fast that when I took my eyes of 'em to grab my gun and call the shot...they were already on the deck. We came up through the grass only to find the sky empty. What a shock when they erupted out of the Hardcores. Several of the flocks were family groups of 12 to 20 and two were well over 50 in number. I have had this happen before but never 5 times in a single season, much less, every flock that has worked me so far. I can't believe how deadly Hardcore decoys are.

I realize that it's early in the season and the Geese were new migrants off the reserve but they have NEVER liked my set-up this good. I would like ta think that my calling had something to do with it hehe.

Man it's a thrill puttin em on the ground. Being realistic, I know that I won't be able to land late season Geese but from what I have seen so far, I think the HC's will give me an edge on Dec. & Jan. Canadas. I'll let ya know how it goes this weekend. Later, Murph.

Flocknocker
11-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Same thing most find out when using top of the line decoys Murph. Some guys say they don't need them and I believe that is true for some, and wish it was for me still, I loved the days of 15 doz super mags and limits every day, but not anymore. Them were the good old days which some enjoy right now with few resident geese to wise up the new flocks.

We have the same trouble with our resident birds here also and the better decoys I hope will keep fooling them for a few more years to come. We have hunted the same birds for years and years now. Them suckers are wise to our ways, and know all the safe flyways and fields to feed in(I HATE THEM SUCKERS). I wish we had some spots that the residents were not around and we just had migrators when they move so we could hunt fresh birds that have not seen our game before. But instead what we have here in my area are hard hunted "smart birds been there and done that birds". And there is also the problem of others shooting them on the slide at 80 or 100 yards so they flair off live birds on some days now. I for one wish we could get rid of the resident birds here (KILL EM ALL) but that will never happen now with all the lakes we have that are no hunting. I know some of you read this stuff and think I am full of $hit and that's ok, that's your opinion and your welcome to it. I just hope you never have to deal with birds like we have here.

Just remember Murph only show them just enough to kill em, never show your hold card to early in the year if not needed cuz they will get burned out. Hope you get some migrators soon, we are getting them now, sure helps. Sounds like you are doing well with the geese like you do during the summer with walkers, hehehe. Maybe I should start decoying joggers that run down the road, could give me the edge. :LOL:

Cliff

don835
11-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Cliff...They saw the whole Hardcore spread on 2 occasions. I just had to see it with my own eyes. Since then I have been experimenting with fiewer and fiewer HC's to see what's effective. It's really difficult for me to set out a small spread considering that I was used to 200+ decoys out there.
Sunday we had pea soup fog so I set out 14 HC's and 12 G&H Supermag shells (visibility ). The fog cleared at 9:35 and by 11:00 we had decoyed 2 flocks, on the ground, and dropped 8. Just AMAZING!

I have been concerned about the HC stands being visable under the decoy so I have been kicking dirt and stubble over them to hide em'. We had snow earlier in the season and the stands really stood out so I kicked snow over them. In the fog Sunday, I figured that I did not need to cover the stands and just let it ride. When the fog lifted I realized that I had not covered the stands but could not leave the pit because we had Canadas everywhere.
Hell...the Geese didn't care, they lit with em' anyway. Maybe it's because it's early in the season that I'm getting away with not covering the stands, don't know for sure. I will continue to cover the stands(just me) but I really don't think a guy needs to.
I have not used the Flapper or Higdon Stackable feeders yet so the Geese are in for a real surprise later in the season. Just throwin it out there. Later, Murph.:cool:

BigRed77
11-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey Murph,
Do you have any pictures of any of these hardcores o computer that I may be able to view online?
These decoys soound like just the thing I'm looking for.
Birds here on PEI are basically being drawn to "stuffers" and that's it.
I would really like to see these hardcores and even better, discover where I can get a few.
Big Red from PEI.

Sangamon River Rat
11-20-2003, 01:18 PM
You can go to the website at: www.hardcoredecoys.com .....
These decoys are really unbelievable!!! They look real and they fool people as well as geese!!!!!!

extrapale
11-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Should be able to get what you are looking for there.

extrapale
11-20-2003, 01:20 PM
:LM:

BigRed77
11-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks gang. Very much appreciate the info....
Big Red from PEI

:cool:

phoneman
11-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Have you guys checked out the avery fullbodies, Fred Zink said they look just as good, if not better, than hardcores, are 10x more durable and half the price, the only thing they are missing is the motion that hardcores have, but something's in the works. Just my two cents. for more info check out www.com they have an in-depth look at the dekes.
Later,
phoneman

don835
11-20-2003, 06:22 PM
BigRed77...you have the right idea. I'm finding out that less is more when it comes to decoys and Hardcores are the real deal. If your serious about killin' Canadas then you MUST invest in at least 4. Set 'em up in the red zone and get ready. Check out the Hardcore site and click on dealers. Several have HC's in stock and could ship ASAP. Check with Cliff and then the dealers in Kansas.
Just remember to get flocked heads and the bags!

When you have a decoy that LOOKS like a goose and MOVES...
well...don't take my word for it. See for yourself. I sold 238 premium decoys to buy 42 Hardcores and this year I have already surpassed last years total in 3 weeks time. Not braggin, just telling like it is. Hope this helps! Later, Murph. :cool:

M.Bassitt
11-20-2003, 07:18 PM
For what it's worth, watched North West Hunter t v show a couple weeks ago and they had Dave Smith and 200 of his decoys on the show and it was an eye opener as to what his decoys did on the geese, watch them land flocks of 25 to 30 lesseres in the decoys. But the thing that realy impressed me was when the geese touched down, they put there heads down and started eating, just like they were with friends.
I can't afford them but if i could and was going to buy any decoys it would be Hardcores. The looks and the movement are just to much.

Later Mike

Flocknocker
12-05-2003, 12:16 AM
I am sure the Avery decoys looks awesome but look better than HardCores, OK. But please tell your good buddy Fred, Cliff said he needs a new set of glasses real bad real fast and real thick in my opinion if he in fact really said that. Feel free to copy and send this to Fred he knows my phone number.

I know you spend allot of time on the Avery Forum that was evident from my one visit there a couple nights ago, and you seem to be real fired up to be in the Avery family and that is great
(Nice Forum) but please don't play the he said she said game here.

Fred told me they suck, NO NO not really, but see how easy that was to type. So please give it a rest, Murph started the topic on HC decoys and asked not to turn this into a shit fest over decoys.

It is also plain to me phoneman, you have never seen or used HardCores or Dave Smith Decoys from your post, just like the Avery haters are talking crap about the GHG decoys without ever putting a hand on one, puts you in the same boat as them IMHO. Now if you have your own educated opinion on this subject please enlighten me, but please don't bring Fred into this with second hand info and please leave the GHG cheerleader outfit at home for a couple days.

I am hearing from friends that hunt a "bunch" that the GHG decoys are the best looking production decoys they have ever used. And I look forward to getting mine soon and I hope I am in the same opinion, because trust me I will have the rest of custom painted foots for sale real fast. I am sure the GHG decoys are more durable right now and if I get a bunch custom painted I will treat them just like my HC and bag them after use.

If Fred wants to come here and speak his opinion I will take it as just that, an opinion from the guy that made the GHG decoy.

Hey Murph GOOD JOB BUDDY!!!!! Keep em dropping.

Cliff

don835
12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks Cliff...Guys, I just returned form grinding out 7 days in the pit. The Hard Cores were Leathal. The last 2 days the Canadas started wising up and it became more difficult to put 'em on the ground. I screwed up a flock before I caught on but the geese are still in your face when we take 'em.
I started mixing in 24 Higdon Stackable Feeders to give 'em a different look and the Canadas really liked the mix. We will see how effective the HC's are in December but for now...November was a month to remember, WOW! God forbid if my bride ever decides to give me the boot but if she does, she can have everything but the Hard Cores. Later, Murph...whos goin' shoppin for more 2 3/4" Hevi-Shot.
:wak:

DUCKDIGGLER
12-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Murph, how do you like those short Hevi Shot shells?? I love them in #4s how bout you? What are you runnin for a choke??

Sorry for piggy-backin your post but I figured you 'd check it.

Diggler is one HUGE fan of HEVI #4s!!!!:wak:

don835
12-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Double D...I'm using an OEM Benelli Mod choke. As for the Hevi-Shot, the 12ga. 3 1/2" #2 & #4 are coming out Last. I switched to the little 2 3/4" Hevis for the first shot and now there is at least some
resemblence of a Goose when I pick 'em up. I love the stuff. Later, Murph.
:cool:

DUCKDIGGLER
12-05-2003, 04:31 PM
OH YEAH!!!! :Bn: